Microsoft e learning

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Jaytee2305, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Jaytee2305

Jaytee2305 Bit Poster

Hi

I've not studied for 18 months since I finished my MCSE and need to get my head around Server 2008 and Exchange 2007. I noticed that Microsoft are doing elearning on their website. Has anyone used it and how do they rate it? Is it better / worse than CBT and would you advise getting other study materials.

Jaytee

Certifications: MCSE, Network+, Server+, HP APS
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The ones I looked at were pretty lacklustre, seems a great idea, but doesn't seem to really work out in reality.

All the annoying powerpoint style HTML seems to just get in the way.

I certainly wouldn't pay a lot for it, ignore all the talk of £5000 worth of training etc.

I prefer a traditional book, doing some examples, sometimes a video clip or webcast can help. I find the traditional CBT vendors seem to have better videos in general without the annoying interludes of rubbish quizes and slowly loading clunky HTML.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The MS e-learning stuff is OK to be fair, but a bit shallow.
    I don't think it covers the entire curriculum on its own, and is best used as a supplement to other material.
    It also suffers from the general MS web presence where nothing seems to be in the same place twice.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. EZE Training Instr

EZE Training Instr Bit Poster

Jaytee

There are many routes you can take. There is an upgrade path from MCSE to Server 2008 as there is with Exchange 2007. You can use Online courses, CBT's, Self Study Books or Courses.

I would say take a look at the Microsoft Websit but its almost impossible to find exactly what you need. You can download the certification and upgrade paths by clicking here

Any questions please post them and I will endevour to assist you.

Gareth Jones
    Chief Instructor

Certifications: MCT, MCITP, MCTS, VCI, VCP, CCNA, CCNP
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

and

removing the film from a scratch card is a waste of a quid. Scratching off an e-learning code that doesn't work isn't so easy to recitfy!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Jaytee2305

Jaytee2305 Bit Poster

thanks for the reply chaps, looks like I'll start off with the 70-649 upgrade first with the good ol mspress book and some questions. I'll probably do the exchange 2k7 next.

Thanks for your advice

Certifications: MCSE, Network+, Server+, HP APS
  7. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I agree, I had various XP ones a while back, plus the free MCDST offer and i wasn't impressed. Especially considering the retail cost. The free virtual labs come in handy for the 2008 certs especially at lunchtimes.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots