Meyers/Goth all i need?

Discussion in 'A+' started by ZZR1100, Feb 28, 2007.

1. ZZR1100

ZZR1100 Bit Poster

If im going to take the A+ and N+. Would buying the relevent goth/meyers book cover everything?

If not, what else will i need to use as revision material?

Sorry if this is an old question. But im just trying to clear things up in my head.
    Im going down the self study route for these courses.

any other tips?

thanks

ps. i take it the books on Amazon etc, are the latest editions..?

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Goth? (Images of a black-bound book :D )

It's Groth! :p

As I have said recently - these books are very good, but *don't* make the mistake that the books are all you need to pass the exams. You always need to read around the subject to fill out any gaps.

In addition, everyone is different. You may find that Groth's traetment of a particular section to be obscure (as a random example), so you would look elsewhere for someone else's description, which may be clearer to you.

Be carefull with Amazon - they often show several editions of a book, and don't always mark the ones that are older with a link to the newer.

If in doubt check here.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. ZZR1100

ZZR1100 Bit Poster

LOL i wondered why none of those Goth books were about PC's . hehe

I see what your saying tho, these books cover a large % of what i need to know for the exams, but not all.

But im still at a loss as how im supposed to know what i need to study for the exams.
    I can't memorise the whole book.

Where can i find what is in the N+ and A+ exams? What areas are covered etc. Otherwise im revising blind.

I know ive asked this already, but im still not sure.

cheers guys

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The key document is known as the 'Objectives'. CompTIA make these available for download. For example, the A+ Objectives are here.

You will see that they are worded somewhat vaguely, which is why no book will completely cover everything that might crop up in the exam!

But as long as you are thorough in your reading you shouldn't be stumped on any question that appears - CompTIA aren't in the business of *making* you fail!

And use of practise questions, such as the ones included with the Meyers books, gives you a good idea of how you are doing.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. ZZR1100

ZZR1100 Bit Poster

Ah, thank you. Great.