MCTS Exams...

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by dan_1983, Jan 26, 2009.

1. dan_1983

dan_1983 Bit Poster

Hi Everyone...

I posted a message in the CompTia Network + forum when i started here but due to a change in my current work place they are offering to pay for my training to do the MCTS exams.

I have been looking on the MS site and i am hoping to do a self study course for three MCTS exams. (active directory configuration, network infrastructure configuration and applications infrastrutcure configuration)

I am based in Essex and did my first MCP at south east essex college in the evenings but that college is not offering those MCTS exams anymore (hence the reason for self study)

so, my question (at last!) is, do you guys the MS self study guides? I have found some the three i need on Amazon for about £93. Also, I have been looking for some CBT nuggets videos for these exams as i really liked them in the past but cannot seem to find any. Are there any other books / videos? Or, does anyone know of any colleges that offer these as a instructor led course?!

Thanks in advance...

Dan

Certifications: MCP 70-290
    WIP: CompTia Network+
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Do you actually use/administer Windows Server 2008 in work?

3. dan_1983

dan_1983 Bit Poster

Yes...

We are part of the NHS and we are teaming up with two other local trusts. We will be the root domain and the other trusts will be the child domains, in total there will be about 60 remote sites using our D.C's

4. GiddyG

Well, I used the 70-640 MS Self Paced Training Kit to study that exam, as well as the new Boson ExSim Max product for the same exam. I also had/still have a lab that I continue to use based on the set-up in the Training Kit, with a few additions.

The book was very good, although there are some errors in it (there's an Errata page though - see here).

The Boson product is excellent - this is the fourth one I've used, and the third of the new ExSim Max products I've had the opportunity to use. It's well worth having a look at it. It goes over and above the exam, and has some very useful extras.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Thank you for the props, Giddy. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. dan_1983

dan_1983 Bit Poster

Thanks for the response GiddyG...

I will look into the boson product tonight...8)

7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I could have sworn there's a guy from that company here on the forums!

... I wouldn't trust him :p :wink:

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. BosonMichael

But... but... he's got such an honest face! :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would recommend Boson also, after seeing the quality of their work on their A+ exams I doubt the quality would differ on their other products.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. GiddyG

Yup, and here's what he looks like... :ymca Would you trust him?

11. dan_1983

dan_1983 Bit Poster

12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Haha, I'm so sorry. My intention wasn't to completely derail this thread. :p

Both Michael and Josh are decent fellas! :D

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  13. GiddyG

14. BosonMichael

Actually, he looks like this:

[​IMG]

Betcha thought I was gonna pull out the vampire pic, didn't ya? :twisted:

15. BosonMichael