MCTS 70-536 C# or VB?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by sujit39, Dec 19, 2008.

1. sujit39

sujit39 New Member

I'm studying for MCTS 70-536. I 've a question on this.
    The language for this exam is not specified. Are the questions and the option answers
    going to be in c# or Vb?
    I'm comfortable with VB and would like to give this exam in VB.
    Are we to mention the language while registering for the exam?
    Thanks!

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The exam will be for either C# or VB .net, I can't remember but you either have to specific the langauge either when you register or when you start (I've got a hunch that it's at the start of the exam, but I'm not 100% sure). I would ring either MS or Prometric just to be sure.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A quick google suggests that you choose the language at the start of the exam.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I took the exam over a year ago.

You choose the language at the start before the exam, once chosen you cannot change it, all questions and examples will be in that format.

I'm pretty sure the 70-536 is available in three languages :-

1. C#
    2. VB .Net
    3. Managed C++

Other .Net related exams are only available in C# or VB .Net.

VB is not an option for the current MCTS exams, VB is a different language from VB .Net with similar syntax.

The MS training kit for 70-536 has examples, questions and answers in both VB .Net and C#. Its a dual language book if you like.
    The exam is 'language neutral', as its primary aim is to test framework knowledge not language knowledge.

I'd advise standardising on C# but its upto you.

5. sujit39

sujit39 New Member

Thanks for the information!
    By vb I meant VB.net.
    I'm much alien to c#, and in some sample Q & A I saw that only C# examples were present.
    So I was wondering what is the language for the exam. Thanks for clearing my doubt.
    Another thing I want to ask is that how tough is this exam and what is the time allotted for
    this exam?

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

How tough the exam is, is very dependant on the individual person. It depends how well you know your subject inside and out.

As for the amount of time allocated, according to Prometric's website:

You may also want to download a cramguide from Cramsession, to consolidate your knowledge once you've finished studying the main material.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security