MCSE but no experience. Job prospects in UK??

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Starflex, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Starflex

Starflex New Member

Hi all, This is my first post here, although I've been lurking for a bit ;)

I'm an IT nut. I have no commercial experience in IT, but I've been into computers since I was 8 (20 years ago...)

I have a small network at home, 2 computers for me, my sons game PC, wife's laptop. I'm running a webserver, FTP server, gameserver etc etc......basically I understand networking fairly well :)

I feel fairly confident that with a little study I could pass my MCSE, but am worried about the actual employment prospects once I have passed. I'm going to end up in the catch22 when I can't get a job becuase I have no experience, but cannot gain experince becuase I cannot get a job!! :(

There must be other people here who have dealt with this. How did you do it? Is there any hope, or has the MCSE become a worthless qualification? I'm from the UK.........

[edit.......I also have family in the USA...and would consider (love) to move there.....are prospects any different the other side of the atlantic?]

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The term "Paper MCSE" was coined in years past to describe someone who passed all the MCSE certification exams but lacked any practical experience. In the 1990s, training providers churned out MCSEs who were immediately snapped up by companies needing people to administrate their Windows networks.

Long story short, these folks although having passed all the exams, didn't have the ability to adequately do the job because they had not learned the required skill sets, insteand learning only how to pass exams.

I'm not saying all this to discourage you but to add a dimension to your studies. As you define your goals and work on your education, you will also need to start gaining practical experience now rather than waiting until you have passed the exams.

Also, it can take years to pass all of the necessary exams to earn your MCSE. The pieces of paper aren't magic. Increasingly, employers are less interested in the certifications and more interested in your job history. Certainly both can work hand in hand, but certifications alone won't get you that top flight job.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Trip is right - the MCSE is undoubtedly devalued of late, for the above reasons, but all the same, if you achieve it and show that you can fully demonstrate your understanfing of it's content, I think you would improve your prospects immeasurably. Once you get your foot in the door, it should be clear that you have the knowledge that the MCSE once symbolized.

There are plenty of MCSE's around these Boards who have fabulous and in-depth knowledge of the field, and I take my hat off to them.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity