MCSA

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Ginyard, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well it would be nice to think that passing some certs would get you some extra £££ wouldnt it? Thats not the case these days due to BDs being available if you can use the internet. That doesnt seem to have any impact on you though, weird. :rolleyes:

Do you actually interview people for IT positions? I can tell you its not easy. When I have a CV in my hand and it has MCSE, CCNA etc. listed on it my first thought is "how did they pass the exams?" when I really want to think "great acheivement". Again this doesnt seem to be your problem though.

Try and look at the bigger picture mate, I know the whole subject of BDs has been done to death but it is a big issue in regard to IT certification.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

But it does, those of us that have been around a while still remember the MCSE 2000 and the high amount of cheating that was happening with it (pls note not everyone who gain the MCSE 2000 cheated), this is when the term "paper" MCSE was born. This in turn devalued this cert alot, to a point where almost every helpdesk/1st tier support job were requesting this cert.

You are assuming that the IT manager sits on the interview panel for every IT position, in alot of companies they don't. In the case where they don't, or there's no technical person on the panel, how are they suppose to see the cheaters from the people who know their stuff?

The instructor will guide the person studying, that much is true. However the instructor does not tell his/her students the exact questions and answers that are on the exam - that is the difference. If the instructor does give out braindumps, then that person is in violation of the NDA and will be reported.

I'm sorry, but are you condoning stealing?

Again it is, I do not claim to know your experience in IT, however when you work in the IT dept you will inherit that departments reputation, it's problems, it's history. And it takes a long time to change people's perception. Added to that if you go for a job and you have the same qualification of the previous person, and that person made a right mess, do you think that will look favorable to you?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

exam cost go up because people cheat and devalue the cert. Its just the same as someone who copies a film. The producers of that film have lost money so they raise the price of the dvds etc etc and in turn makes the people who are honest fork out more money or be tempted to copy.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

We had someone join here a while back who had the MCSE he made no bones about cheating to pass and the idiot left the backup tapes in the corridor and the cleaners threw them out. Now this person got the job over me. How would you feel if the same happened to you? you'd be pissed off big time, I vowed if I eve saw him again he'd get a slap but he didn't because I laughed in his face when I saw him in Mcdonalds :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. CertGuard

CertGuard Bit Poster

Precisely! And if that doesn't affect everyone that takes exams, I don't know what does. ;)