MCSA with MCDST or MCTS?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Kris, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Kris

Kris New Member

I'm working for 8 years now as a helpdesk and operations engineer and I would like to get some certifications to help me on a job where I can do more server work. So I think MCSA is a good choice. Given the fact I'm working as a helpdesk engineer and a promotion is not planned yet, I think the combination with a MCDST or MCTS would be perfect.
    But then there's one big question: Should I go for the old way and do 5 exams choosing a MCSA(3) and MCDST(2) (MCDST replaces one elective), Or can I better choose for the MSCA with 620 (Vista) as an elective (in that way I'll become a MCTS also?). In the last way I end up with vista but I could choose 270 (XP) as a core. This seems cheaper, simpler and shorter. Or do I forget something?
    Is there any certification that expires or something?
    Is MDST (2 exams) equal to MCTS (1 exam)? Or is MCDST equal tot MCITP (2exams)?

WIP: Open University
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Wow, I'm not sure where to start! Will try to dig in and not miss anything...

You can get your MCSA on Windows Server 2003 by taking:
    - one client exam (2000, XP, or Vista)
    - two server exams (290 and 291)
    - one elective exam (or the MCDST)

Therefore, you need four exams for the MCSA (5 if you choose to get the MCDST).

The client exam you choose is up to you. Personally, I would take the exam that relates to what you support or will likely be supporting... which, at the moment, is likely to be Windows XP. Most companies are using XP, and some are still using 2000 Pro.

Keep in mind that there's not just ONE MCTS certification... there are several. Currently, there are *19* of them.

The MCDST on XP certification is roughly equivalent to the MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician certification (which requires you take 620 and 622). If you get your MCDST, you can take 70-621 to upgrade to the MCITP: EST certification.

The MCP, MCDST, MCSA, and MCSE certifications will never expire (unless Microsoft changes their mind).
    The MCTS certifications will expire when support for the related product expires.
    The MCITP certifications will expire every three years unless you renew them (usually by taking one exam).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kris

Kris New Member

620 is an elective or a core exam. It seems that you can get a MCSA now doing 290/291/260elective/270core.
    But the fact that MCITP expires is pretty bad news for people like me who have to pay everything. The company doesn't care how trained their personel is... I guess I'll go for the MCDST and later on I'll do three MCSA exams. Although I work 8 years as a support guy, I still think MCDST brings new stuff, the stuff my company never uses... automatisation, procedures and all that stuff keeps us stupid :dry

WIP: Open University
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, by the time you've gotten a better position 3 years from now, you won't likely have to pay for everything.... and even if you do, you'll have more money to pay for it. ;) I mean, we're talking about a single $150 exam to recertify - consider it an investment in your career.

All that said, I don't see the recertification policy to be particularly cumbersome. Certification isn't something that you get once, and then you're done. If you're in the industry, you HAVE to continually learn new skillsets and continuously upgrade and get new certifications... otherwise, you will stagnate in your career - you'll be left behind while others advance past you. Thus, you're going to want to continually move forward. If you do... you won't even need to worry about recertification much because you'll be doing it *anyway* as you go.

Your plan to do the MCDST + 3 MCSA exams is a solid one... that's what I would have personally done as well, if I had to start all over from scratch.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

If you are already doing helpdesk work now and want to move up to server work, you might want to look into a 'higher level' elective. Something like Sec+, 299, Exchange, etc.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)