MCSA Self Training

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Sisko, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Sisko

Sisko Bit Poster

Hey guys, I plan to work through my MCSA self training. I would like to use VMware to run a couple of Virtual servers for the 290 exam. Is there a basic version of VMware avaliable that doesn't expire and can be used as long as its needed??

Cheers guys

Certifications: BSc Computer Network Management & Design
    WIP: 70-640
  2. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

You can get vmware player for free and you can use these websites to create you "virgin" virtual machines. All you have to do is "deflower" the vm's with operating systems.

http://www.easyvmx.com/

...or...

http://vmcreator.com/virtual-machine.html;jsessionid=DE80C805BD9F4E76B930994AD50A9241

Certifications: MCDST
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

There are a few free virtualisation products out there. I always quite liked Virtual PC 2007 from Microsoft. It's a nice lightweight app and is very straigtforward to use (especially the networking aspect of it).

You also have VirtualBox which is supposed to be very good (from Sun) but I have only played with that a little.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I use virtual PC 2007 as Modey said it quite lightweight doesn't take long to setup and can be set to run on booting or you can do it manually.

I only have on when I need it and I currently have it set up with win2k3,3x XP pro all networked as if it were a real networked set up :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Sisko

Sisko Bit Poster

Hmm, i'll need to give this MS Virtual PC a go then. It would be really helpful as that way i'll be able to work through the exercises in the 290 study guide by having a couple of virtual servers running. Makes things so much easier without having to physically have two servers sitting at home somewhere!! :biggrin

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Thats exactly how most people do it. I used Virtual PC at my nightclasses and VMware player at home. Both will do the job for most of the MCSA stuff.

Only problem I had was all the modem stuff in 70-291.

7. Sisko

Sisko Bit Poster

I'll very likely stick with VMWare if I have a choice as i'm more familier with VMware. Should be an interesting affair in self studying that's for sure.

How do most people on here study? Do you study at your own pace and then set an exam date near the end, or set an exam date and then bash your way through the chapters? I'm wary of setting a date and then trying to bash on in case i'm not ready for the exam when the date rolls round.

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I always set the exam date when I am feeling confident, although some people book their exam straight away and then start studying as it gives them more motivation to study.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. guyver9114

guyver9114 Bit Poster

Hi, i normally set myself a 3-4month time scale to study and sit the exam, but only book the exam when feel comfortable and book it 3-4 weeks later to give myself a small break away from studying for a few days then go over the material again.

Certifications: MCSA: Messaging, MCT
    WIP: Nothing for a few months :)
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I use VMware server 2.0.... Although it does has a few services and uses resources it's still a pretty good tool and it's free on top of that. The only thing is it's managed through your web browser but you can also you VI client as well...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. gurusapprentice

gurusapprentice Nibble Poster

Hi microsoft virtual pc ( the new version) does actually work with vista home even though it says it doesn't. Obviously its up to you how you configure your vm's but remember if your going to have DC's etc that you also need virtual cards and to use NAT, otherwise it can get a bit messy when your handing out ips all over the place lol. My only advice is depending how your going to study for it is understand DNS, Subnetting, sysprep, backup. Incedentally I don't know how others got on but in hindsight I would have probably looked @ the active directory stuff prior to taking any of the server courses. simply to get a feel for it. I have my MCSA and to be honest the step up from the 290 to 291 is huge although to be fair if your cisco orientated then the subnetting will be fairly easy in comparison if you aint be prepared to end up bald through pulling your hair out lol.

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: Degree CCNA/CCNP 70-622 MCITP:E e
  12. Sisko

Sisko Bit Poster

Did you study daily to give yourself this time window?? Or was it every few days but for longer periods? Or....was it just a time window you set yourself at random?? :)