MCSA Path - Which first?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by accousticrocker, Oct 24, 2007.

1. accousticrocker

accousticrocker New Member

Heya

Ive been lurking around the forums for a bit just getting general information but would like to ask a few questions if possible.

I currently have 2 certifcations which are the Comptia A+ and MCDST but want to go further onto the MCSA 2k3.

I believe I need the following to gain this:

70-270
    70-290
    70-291

I will proberly take the 70-270 as the next one but the other 2 I am a bit more concerned about. My networking knowledge isn't brilliant to be honest so was wondering what I should do. Should I take Network + before I do the 290/291 as a base or go straight ahead with it?

Also its proberly been asked (Sorry) but what are the best set of books to go for. I have personally enjoyed the Certification Passport for the a+ and was given a huge XP inside out book for the MCDST but that was a bit much. I have looked at the Sybex books and they get good ratings on amazon.

Many thanks :peace

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

To be honest in my opinion, I would recommend doing the Network+ before doing the 70-290 & the 70-291. I actually teach the MS courses at the local tech, with Dom (Modey), and we see alot of people who come on the MCSA courses (even with IT industry experience) that struggle with the 70-291 course as they don't have the basic background knowledge.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. accousticrocker

thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah I had a feeling I would need to do the Network + first anyway. Time to have a look on amazon for a new book to read then me thinks. Have recommendations for the network +?

cheers

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Kitkatninja

I actually used the Microsoft books for the Network+

Network+ Certification Training Kit, see here

Network+ Certification Readiness Review , see here.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. accousticrocker

Do these books cover the exam topics for the current set? I did the A+ last year but know they have changed since and books are still there for the older set of exams. Basically I am asking, are these books up to date?

Cheers

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yep, those books are upto date.

The Network+ was updated in 2005, and as far as I'm aware isn't scheduled for an update any time soon.

8)

9. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE
  10. Kitkatninja

Don't worry, the MCDST or the combination of the A+ & Network+ counts as the elective towards the MCSA :)

-Ken

11. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Couldn't agree more, when I started the 291 way back, I felt lost, so much that I gave up and went and done the N+ before even considering going back to the 291.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  12. accousticrocker

thanks for the help guys.

When I get home I will get onto amazon! Time to try and get my head into a book again :D