1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCSA 2003 - Now what to do?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by certal, Dec 23, 2010.

1. certal

certal New Member

Hi all,

I have just joined this forum as I need some advice on upgrading my Microsoft certifications.

I have completed 4 x exams so far which has given me MCSA in 2003 but I am wanting to go for 2008 certs now.

I have checked the Microsoft upgrade paths but they don't make as much sense as they used to! :x

Any how, is it possible to upgrade my MCSA 2003 to MCSA 2008? Or even MCSE 2008? What are my options?

Thanks! :D

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Check out this page

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx#tab4

Basically if you want to acheive MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuration and MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration you do the Exam 70-648: TS: Upgrading Your MCSA on Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 and so on

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

There is no MCSA 2008 or MCSE 2008...

You now have the MCITP: Server Admin and the MCITP: Enterprise Admin. Unlike the MCSA and MCSE, where the MCSE was higher. Both MCITP's are equal, there are both geared up towards different job roles.

MCITP: SA = Admin of the system, while
    MCITP: EA = Design of the system.

If you have the MCSA, you can do the upgrade exam (70-648 ) and the 70-646 to gain the MCITP: SA, then do the extra exams for the MCITP: EA.

If you have the MCSE, you can do the upgrade exam (70-649), the 70-647 and one of the following: 70-680, 70-620 or the 70-624, then do the extra exams for the MCITP: SA.

See here for the different paths.

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  4. certal

certal New Member

Thanks Ken, can't believe I didn't stumble across that page when I searched...

Makes total sense now, it's looking like the MCITP: SA I am after.

Thanks again