MCP Logo

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by loca1hero, Sep 6, 2010.

1. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Hey every1

I am just looking for your comments/views on this . .
    I have cleared exam 70-270 n become MCP and also cleared exams 70-271 & 70-272 and become MCDST, so now on my CV should I use two separate logo's e.g. Microsoft Certified Professional & Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician OR just use the MCDST logo (Here I would be looking at this from a employer's prospective) I mean would using two logo's make u look more knowledgeable Or you might say that being a MCDST already makes u an MCP . .

What would you say
    :)

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The subject of logos has come up several times relating to CVs - the general opinion seems to be not to use them, or to use a select few in a minimal way.

In terms of listing your certifications, I suppose that depends on who you are aiming at. Sticking my neck out a bit in your case I would list myself as MCP (270) and MCDST (271 & 272).

It's hard to get right. If someone knows looking at your CV knows nothing about IT certs, you could miss out if you don't list something you have when someone else does. On the other hand, if someone does know about IT certs, you can end up looking like a pretentious t**t.

In my case, as an MCSD I could include MCSD, MCAD and MCP - but it would be daft because they are all part of the same thing, one was a stepping stone to the next. Mind you - if I applied for a job where they specifically asked for an MCAD, I might well list that instead of MCSD in case they didn't see the connection.

In your case though, we're talking about two seperate certs so there's no harm in listing them both.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I personally wouldn't use logos. They look cheap in my opinion. But each to his own though. :)

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would say don't bother, either the agency concerned will strip them out or they get through and I just bin the CV because of them.

I don't like them, never used them (on a CV) and would suggest others didn't either.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

You said it Jonny, its who I'm aiming at when I'm applying for particular for job(s)

thanks anyway that helps and all of what you said like: If someone without knowledge of IT is looking at my CV might get a good impression, on the other hand someone who knows about it might think I'm over doing it.

reverb and Simon, personally I din’t use them up till now as I think that if I mentioned on CV about my certification then I don’t need logo’s but just thought on some occasions for some jobs I might use them.
    Thanks for your opinions.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I place four or five small logos in the upper-right corner of my resume, opposite my name and contact information. It's worked well for me. The key is to not overdo it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Thanks BM - I'll go with that sounds good to me.