MCDST or MCTS?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by carlaomi, Feb 2, 2009.

1. carlaomi

carlaomi New Member

Hi all,

I've been studying for the MCDST for around 7months now, squeezing studying in between work and spending time with the kids.

I'm reaching 80% on the practice exams one night the 55% the next and really getting demotivated doing it now.

A colleague at work mentioned the Vista course MCTS, now is this worth going for rather than the MCDST or is it an add-on to the MCDST to qualify you for Vista.

What is the best way forward, get my head stuck in Vista or keep plodding along with MCDST till I'm, hitting 80-90% all the time in practice exams?

Cheers
    :dry

2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to Cet Forums!

I would recommend booking the 70-271 exam now, making sure that you use the Microsoft Second Shot Voucher.

Have a look at the Study Guide in my signature, keep doing a little bit every day, not just the practice tests.

Things such as reading the MS Press Book and practing with XP.

Once, you have got your MCDST I would then look at maybe Vista 70-620.

Good luck with your studies.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would recommend continuing with the MCDST. Don't just memorize the practice exams, as that's not what they're designed for.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. carlaomi

carlaomi New Member

I've got 70-271 self paced microsoft book, which I complete a while ago now, but found a lot of it has fell out the other ear :biggrin , will take your advice on board thanks.

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree, if you've done so much studying for the MCDST finish that, then if you want, do the MCTS for Vista...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. carlaomi

carlaomi New Member

Have you guys used Cram Your exam books?

I'm currently no going to read the sections of the self paced book I'm falling low on then try another test exam (good idea?).

I've also got the VTC videos by Barry Ferguson, would you recommend these or are the cbt nuggets better?

I really wanna get this done, work have said I can have a pay rise if I get this under my belt.

7. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Agree with others posted above, finish the MCDST and you will feel good for not giving up. Keep at it a little at a time. I know it is hard sometimes with life getting in the way but do as suggested and keep going! Once done, go for the Vista cert. I am sure that the MCDST will help a great deal when you study Vista.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

That sounds like a damn fine reason for passing. :D

It looks like you've done loads of study for the MCDST anyway... and, like the rest of us, you've fitted that in and around other commitments.

Have you actually drawn up a training plan, to study say 1 or 2 hours a night solid to read up the stuff and make notes? Are you doing the labs at home? This is the sort of thing Craigie is talking about. It's good, solid advice.

9. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Or you could do what i did and book the second chance offer for free before your exam,you may well pass the exam just now,if you don't you can sit it free of charge second time round.

If you are actually working in the customer help enviroment you are further ahead than me already.i didn't really use my practice tests to decide if i was ready,i just booked the exam and did it,the exam is difficult, but they don't expect you to remember everything this subject consists of.

If you've been studying for 7 months that is longer than me,infact it's longer than you would spend studying it at college,the whole subject,and the second part of the mcdst is 50 hours total class time.

Roughly 30 hours are set aside for the first part of the mcdst.

I think with scores that high, 80% to 90% ,you are ready just now.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272