MCDST Books - Microsoft 2nd Edition

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Percula, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Percula

Percula Bit Poster

I'm considering starting the road to MCSE by doing the MCDST exams and moving from there....

Anyway, I figured the best way to get an overview onto what the courses contained was just to buy the Microsoft Training Kit books...

Anyone doing MCDST might be interested to know that there are now 2nd edition versions of the Microsoft books available. Just published. Actually the verso page says copyright 2006!!

Amazon don't have them yet, but Computer Manuals (no affiliation) have them here and their prices are pretty good!

MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit: Supporting Users & Troubleshooting a Windows XP Operating System 2nd Edition
    £27.88
    http://www.compman.co.uk/scripts/browse.asp?ref=746994

MCDST Self Paced Training Kit: Supporting Users & Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on Windows Book/CD 2nd Edition
    £27.88
    http://www.compman.co.uk/scripts/browse.asp?ref=746980

Thought it might be of interest. If you're thinking of buying, make sure you get the 2nd Edition versions!

Perc

Certifications: None!
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Excellent books, I used Microsoft's MCDST book to do 70-272 exam and found the book to be really helpfull. Computer Manuals is a good website and if you write a book review they will send you a 5% discount voucher.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

E-bay sometimes is good for books. The only problem is the postage.... You can't beat Amazon's freebie :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Percula

Percula Bit Poster

Just got this, maybe of interest?

***Free UK Delivery on ALL orders until Christmas***

Computer Manuals is keeping things simple and offering free UK delivery
    on all orders until Christmas. This is a straightforward offer without
    the catches you might find at some other bookstores.

* No order size threshold
    * No requirement that all the books be shipped at once
    * No especially slow service for the free delivery option.

A large proportion of our orders arrive the next working day, even
    when sent on the free delivery option.

Combined with the consistently low prices and high availability offered,
    this is a great offer.

To take advantage of this offer:
    http://computer-manuals/ad/M20

And don't worry, after Christmas, the offer will revert to the normal
    order size threshold of just £5 to qualify for free UK delivery.

==========================================================================

* Free UK Delivery: Delivery is given, via our economy service, FREE on
    all with delivery addresses in the UK Mainland, Scottish Islands and
    Northern Ireland during the course of this offer.

Certifications: None!
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Another good book is Sybex MCDST Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician Study guide for Exams: 70-271 & 70-272. I wasn't sure at first, but it was useful. But then to be blunt, I've been working with XP since it came out, but on the other hand the book did point out several things that I don't use (and never had to).

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I also found the Sybex books were good, even though I bought them after I had passed the certs. (they look good on the shelf!)

I have also just bought the Exam Cram Books from amazon as a prezzie for someone else, but will prob scan them before passing them on. Thanks to Arroryn for the link.

8)

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yeah, but that would be breaking the copyright on the books when I pass them on.

What I meant by scan then was simply have a quick flick through at the topics.

8)

8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Cellardoor I would possibly edit your message as thats breaking copyright law as Simon has pointed out. You might get your hands slapped by the moderators.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Nibble Poster

I've got the first edition of both MCDST books and am due to take the exams in a few weeks. Does anyone know what the main differences are between editions? I'm guessing it'll be mostly corrections (I found a lot of mistakes in the 70-272 book)?

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-270, CCNA