MCDST as an elective

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by riaz.hasan, Aug 7, 2006.

1. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

guyz just a quick question, if we do 270 and MCDST, we can have MCDST as an elective for our mcsa...but wot if i want the exchange server (284) as an elective rather than mcdst as my mcsa elective...not familiar with the elective thing here

the thing is that i might do mcdst after my 270 but would want to work towards having 284 as my elective for mcsa rather than mcdst??

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

as long as you do ONE of the electives its ok... you can do all the electives if you like but the requirement for MCSA is one elective... lets say you get MCSA, MCDST and do the 284... on your CV you could put all three on like so:

Microsoft Cert System Admin
    Microsoft Cert Desktop Support Tech
    Microdoft Cert Pro - Exchange 2003

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. riaz.hasan

ok the
    Microsoft Cert Pro - Exchange 2003 part also looks good :)

thanx for letting me know :thumbleft

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

another thing that might interest you is that Network+ together with A+ also make up an elective. Now doing the N+ has that advantage and also 291 is VERY network orientated... i had a gap in my knowledge because of not doing n+ and you looking into it might have some advantage.

5. riaz.hasan

actually i think N+ is a better option...might go for that!

6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

dude - make your mind up as what you want to do for a career, then you can make a cert path for it... that will be the easiest way that i can recommend...

7. riaz.hasan

yeah i think i need to seriously look at wot i want for mcsa...seems like a lot of good options, need serious thinking :)

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

not exactly cheek... who knows in 3 years once i graduate i might go into DBA or something totally different.. thats the problem with sticking to a path like that when it comes to job hunting you could end up being limited... Why not do N+, MCSA and MCDST? Then head off and do something like SQL?

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

sorry let me explain what im trying to say because i used too many people trying to... you dont need to have a path to learn.. the more you learn the better it is.. if he can do the MCDST thats good... N+ will help him with the MCSA but once he finishes that he might say to himself oh MYSQL looks good and for the rest of his life do MYSQL admin work using linux servers for example... this wasnt in his path and he veered off and headed somewhere different.

10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

but even if he has some sort of idea as to where he wants to go, that should be better, than running around like a headless chicken... *No offence Riaz

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I think if the aim for Riaz is to become <MCSA>, then i would do the exams (including elective) for just that. Then, if you want to expand feel free!

Just my 2p

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. riaz.hasan

alright guyz i finally sat down and seriously thought about it as TheCheekMaster had suggested :) and i have decided i would be doing mcsa but leaving out exchange server for later, i read another thread where zimbo said that exchange server exams r believed to be quite hard, i think as it is i would be having tough time dealing with 291 later, i dont want another one after that... so for now my aim would be something like this...
    as zimbo had first said, the last bit mcp-exhange 2003 will come later if i want to expand further :)
    Si's post also helped finalize my decision....
    thanx everyone for their advice, it was really helpful :D
    certforum is the best forum i have come across :)

13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

and that quote on the exchange exams is a personal opinion because i never worked with exchange!:biggrin

14. riaz.hasan

yeah it took me a while to understand server 2003, i havent worked with exchange either, thats also one of the reason y i think it probably would be a little bit hard, i'll be leaving it for mcp-exchange 2003 later :)

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well from what I have heard, Exchange is a monster and you should forget it unless you work with Exchange on a daily basis.

There really is no point in learning stuff that you will not be putting to daily use because you will just forget it and without practical experience the paper is useless :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

You don't have to put the MCDST forward as an elective. It's not an automatic thing as you have to tell Microsoft to use your MCDST as an elective.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  17. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

You sure? I've checked my cert planner on MS learning and it now shows my MCDST as a passed elective for the MCSA, currently shows I only have to do 290 and 291 to gain that qualification.

As for Exchange, I'm doing that later because I work with it and a lot of companies want it nowadays. If you want to do it, get yourself the 120 day eval version from MS to really mess about with it in a test environment. You can also do the 299 (?) as well and get the 'Security' bolt on. I'm probably going to do both of them.

Certifications: MCDST;MCSA: Messaging;MCSE
    WIP: CCENT
  18. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

mine too... it says elective passed....the only thing you have to tell MS is when you wish to use Comptia certs as electives...

19. riaz.hasan

thanx for the advice guyz :) it has been really helpful!

20. riaz.hasan

yeah I also intend to do the exchange once i'm done with my mcsa, i have seen a lot of companies wanting ppl familiar with exchange and later mayb look towards MCSE with exchange as my specialization...