Massive hole

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Aug 4, 2009.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Dunno about you football lovers here but im gutted about Xabi Alonso going to that circus of a club called called Real Mardrid.

Were seriously going to miss this type of player, we have a player supposedly lined up from Juventus, but i reckon well struggle to fill the gap. Gareth Barry may of had a chance of filling it but we know hes not an ambitious player as hes gone to city. Even though he wanted champions leagure footie, nothing to do with the money at all. Unfortunately thats football these days.

Anyone got any comments and ideas who could fill the gap.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Boris johnson

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

And Alonso hasn't gone because of the money? I really don't think he's worth £30m, and that's one of the biggest gripes I have about this year's summer transfer market.

Real are doing exactly what Manchester City are doing. It's only because Real achieved it once, back in the day with the Galacticos, that they aren't being ridiculed for it.

Way back when, Blackburn Rovers bought the title - it may not seem it now with all the big bucks being pi$$ed up the wall by clubs around the world this year, but buy it they did, with Sutton and Shearer and Hendry and Berg (all these stunning names!). Sure, the house of cards all fell down the season after when they got dumped out the Champions League by part timers, but they proved the basic formula lots of clubs have tried aping since.

Chelsea did it. Sure, they didn't do it right, when Abramovich first came calling, but they have bought all the silverware they recently won. People say that Manchester United nurture young talent, but with the recent wastes of money that Veron, Nani, Andersen and co have turned out to be, even Alex Ferguson has lost his nurture vs expenditure touch. People also say that Arsene Wenger has a knack for turning out talented youngesters. This, I won't deny. But it's money that keeps them there - otherwise Arsenal would be like every other mid-table Premiership club, churning out talented kids for the tops teams to wave their dollars at.

Anyway, I digress, and my apologies. I can't deny Alonso is a gifted footballer, but I just (personally) don't think he's exceptional (and I don't have any team bias to mean I'm poking fun) and won't exactly shine at the Bernabeu. Benitez showed his hand when he courted Barry as a potential replacement. With the current insane prices players are valued at, you probably wouldn't get Frank Ribery but he'd be my pick. Iniesta, again awesome, but out of the price bracket. Alexander Hleb?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Aaaah Arro - ya had me right up to the end there, but went and spoiled it all. Hleb is poo. He's been utter pants for the Blaugrana.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

That's kind of my point - this season, who else will they get for their paltry £30m? :wink:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ah - furry muff!

Alonso is an awesome player - hugely underrated. The reason Liverpool were so inconsistent the season before last was because he was injured, out of form or not playing at 100%. Last season he was back to his early Liverpool form - and the Mickeys were much better because of that. Aquilani is OK, but he's not the same type of player - so unless Benitez is planning on playing Mascherano in the role Alonso filled, he better have that 30 million quid burning a hole in his pocket for someone like Michael Essien.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hey I know Renault have been having a bad season, but bad enough for their lead driver to switch to Real Madrid?

[​IMG]

I'll get my coat ... :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada