Marvel Takes the P**s

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Link

this is taking the biscuit. what next? suing kids who make their own superman costume and run around the back garden pretending to be said hero?

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Fergal1982

it does, however, raise (once again) a pretty big issue. is a company responsible legally for something its customers do using their products?

we already have it, in a sense, on certforums. we need to watch what we say and/or promote within this site, incase Si gets sued for it, we need to be careful when talking about companies incase it is considered slander.

but lets look at another example. if i hack into microsofts system (given the amount of holes in microsoft products, it might not be as unbelievable as it sounds, even given that i cannot hack my way out of a paper bag! :lol), is my ISP responsible legally for what i have done? ive used their servers to commit a crime. surely if marvel can successfully sue these companies then microsoft can sue the ISP. after all, shouldnt they have ensured that i was unable to use hacking techniques/programs through their servers?

the same with the file sharing programs. are the owners responsible if i decide to share my hacked copy of x program with the world? can they be successfully held accountable?

i understand, and back, the idea that they are legally responsible for aiding in tracking any criminal activity done on their servers (so long as the courts produce a warrant, of course!), but should they be held accountable?

back to certforums, should SimonV be held accountable if i wish to use the forums to scream from the rooftops that x supplier is a heap of crap? after all, at the end of the day, we are customers, even those who volunteer their time to help the site and the community. some of us are even paying customers!

Its the beginning to the snowball down the hill. can it, and will it be stopped before it goes too far? before it gets out of hand? that depends on what the courts do with it. the most dangerous thing to our technological evolution is a courtcase, in my opinion! after all, look what happened regarding lawsuits to mcdonalds (for coffee thats too hot? get a grip!), to brewerys (bunch of old guys in the uk somewhere allegedly suing because they were never told drinking could turn them into alcoholics!), to name but a few!

Fergal

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Microsoft would then have to look out as hackers also use MS OS's.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Fergal1982

thats a point, true. so any company could hold microsoft responsible for someone hacking their system if they used MS to do it. oh they'd love that! lol

Fergal