Manager or Techie? What direction would you like to take?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by JK2447, Oct 15, 2009.

?

Manager or Techie? What direction would you like to take?

Poll closed Oct 22, 2009.
  1. Management

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Technical

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  3. Undecided

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I am definately not a manager type but love the hands on technical side of things:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

A small company, we have a core amount of support customers (around 70 odd) and we take on contract work from other companies that have in-house IT staff. I do most of the MS migrations from the design to the final implementation.

Plenty of overspill from the support side of things so I get involved with that (that was meant to change) and often drop off laptops for customers so I can be ready to drop the “Perhaps we should upgrade to Server 2008?” bomb when I’m onsite. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Sometimes I think it is easier to do that, to let off steam here... I mean I wouldn't dream of saying what I typed in this thread to my missus, or anyone else local for that matter. Not sure why exactly... I can only assume it's because we're people in the same field, who can and do often feel some of the same pressures, who see the same or similar issues and can empathise... sometimes it can feel kind of lonely, you think you're the only one who feels the way you do... then you open up a bit and other guys and girls say "Yep, that's me too..." It does help. That's why CF is so good.

I've been reading your posts, noticed you've decided against the BETAs (a wise choice IMHO) and saw the news about the exam. You were a whisker away. You will crack it...

4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Heh... yup... just logging off and then off to bed. Supposed to be off tomorrow, but got to dial in to a meeting, which means I can't go anywhere until that's done.

Roll on retirement... 8)

5. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ha ha sounds great mate. No wonder you are so knowledgeable. One day I hope to be on your level :oops: I'd love to do my masters too, basically copy you ha ha :lol:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. JK2447

I couldn't agree more mate, what you wrote is EXACTLY how I feel. I wouldn't bore my girl with my problems, nor would I want my Team to know I'm not indestructible ha ha (I hope non of them have joined here!) I watch what I go to my boss with because I want to portray a "can do attitude" and all of my friends are non IT family men now so that just leaves me with our beloved Cert Forums to off load my issues ha ha Sorry everyone! Most of the technical issues I see I can ask peers or even Google so to me this sites more of a place for like minded IT Pro's to share their experiences. Well that and I do struggle at times understanding certs/exams as I didn't have many prior to 2009 :oops:

I have learned a lot from other peoples problems tho :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  7. Sparky

LOL!, cheers mate, although it does sound like you are working just as hard as me just now, especially with the amount of study hours you are putting in. :onthePC

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

It's pretty daft of me really to answer after only 2 years "in the game" :p, but at the minute (and by minute i mean between now and the next 10ish years), i wouldn't take up any job which was ever more management than technical.

Like i say though not like i have many years thought put into this, i just know that i love the technical side of IT, what my boss gets up to doesn't interest me a jot.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. For example, I would much rather have my job (managing the ExSim product development teams, training and mentoring authors, creating technical content) than have my supervisor's job (overseeing and managing all of the development teams as well as the IT staff, but not actually creating content). Sure, I'd probably like to make the decisions he does... but not at the expense of being able to do what I'm doing now.

Not yet, anyway. 8) Maybe someday. Maybe not.

Same was true when I was in the Army. Although it'd have been nice to make the kind of cash that the officers pull in, I'd much rather perform intelligence analysis than manage troops.

If I ever venture back into the "real world" again, I'd want to be a hands-on IT Manager... not one who micro-manages, but one who gets into the trenches and does the actual work with the team.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

JK, although you're speaking tongue-in-cheek about your "indestructible" reputation, I'd watch out for preserving it to the point of comprimising your personal life.

I think you made a spot-on decision when you decided to drop the BETAs and focus on home a little more. I made a vaguely similar one with my 4 month gap in OU courses, but work levels at the minute mean I haven't been able to relax one jot.

I've recently acquired the nickname "Terminator" at work - don't eat, don't sleep, will doggedly pursue and complete anythibng I'm set. It's all been voluntary (I am eating btw before anyone gets worried!) but my work/life balance recently has been obliterated to almost zero and it's not a healthy state of mind to be in.

And that is probably why I'd take the longest and hardest look before going into management. As a middle-manager type at the moment, with a small team and only departmental level reporting to do, once our "killer" period of work is over, I can take a smooth step back to my normal level of mildly insane working hours. Managers, however, (well good ones, from what I have gathered) feel they need to be first in, last out. And even as last out, they're then remoting from home doing infrastructure maintenance. I don't know if I could commit myself to those kind of "restrictions" in a few years time - especially if I have a young family by then.

\ramble

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

For me, I consider I've done my time at the coalface so I'd opt for management. Don't mind occasionally pitching in to help out or work on problems but I want to be more involved with IT strategy development.

Each to their own I suppose ultimately and I do think it is possible to combine both roles depending on sector in IT you work in and size/set-up of the company.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  12. JK2447

Thanks for your advice Arroryn, its much appreciated. The funny thing is, during my 10 years in IT, I've always been a fan of having a good work/life balance and even now would bring it up to my Team if they were working too hard. I've just been a man on a mission this year but at times I've worked too much for sure. I can't believe I failed 294 yesterday, just goes to show I was pushing myself too hard IMHO.

Not much longer to go now. Bit of revision for 294, bit for 298 and I'm done. . . . never putting this much pressure on myself again tho. I'm still going to get some writting done next year tho Arroryn so be prepared with your marker pens :biggrin

With regard to the comments some have made about being a manager who gets his hands dirty, just from my own experience, my previous manager (before they dissolved his role and shared his job out to me and my peers) used to help us out and got slated in his end of year appraisals by the big boss. To be fair tho I think he used to help us to the detriment of his own work . . . . . which I suppose makes it a different kettle of fish to a manager that has it agreed with his manager he'll spend a percentage of his time fire fighting. . .

13. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I'd like to think part of the reason I got my degree was to eventually go into management, but I'm not so sure :p I'm happy being a techie, some management experience would be nice because I would like to become self employed eventually :)

14. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Management sucks baws, That is all :D

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  15. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I see myself ending up in management, largely because of the amount of frustration I feel when managers get it wrong. Its either that or I'll ditch IT entirely and join the other budding writers in the quest for a massive bestseller :p

I am at least pleased to say that my current boss actually listens when I say 'Thats really not going to work' the problem is others in the building really don't.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

ATOS doesnt suprise me, IBM not really either, IBM still has a very monolithic hierarchy from the days of 'you work there till you get your gold watch'

a fair percentage of IBMers are lifers

That said, what makes a manager earn more than their staff? I often here IT staff grumble about how a manager should be able to do their job and the job of everyone else beneath them, seems a bit of a paradox
    they shouldn't, in an ideal world they would not even have anywhere close to your skillset, thats why they are managers

Covey wrote that if your workers are the ones clear cutting a forest, managers are the ones behind them sharpening the machetes, giving them bottles of water and generally improving the productivity of the team, there role would be meaningless without the workers, and they are no more or less important than the workers, thus compensation wise, there should be no imbalance

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  17. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nerrrrrd all the way.

Hate managing people - I'm no good at it. Can't deal with lazy/thick people at the best of times - let alone when managing them.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  18. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

The thing is managing is the only way to go if you want to get right to the top, unless your in an obscure field.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  19. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Really? Tell that to Sergey Brin and Larry Page...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  20. Sparky

O...k then. :rolleyes: