MA Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Fergal1982, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

As a lot of you are already aware, i will be sitting an aptitude test on wednesday, and if im successful, then i will be invited to interview on thursday. so im just trying to prepare for the interview just now. i was wondering if anyone can help me with the following:

I'd like some hints and advice on the likely questions they will ask me.

and also, im trying to prepare a list of questions that i can ask them. im trying to show them that i am interested in the company as more than just a wageslip, but i'd also like to put them on the spot a little (not too much obviously, just enough to make me stick in their minds!).

Firstly i was going to tell them that i felt it was just as important for me to like the company as it is for them to like me (after all, reputation is everything. how can i recommend a company i dont like to a colleague?). to that end:

1) What makes the company better than its competitors? what makes it stand out from the crowd?

2) What opportunities for advancement are there within the company post MA

3) the company seems keen on "bridging the digital divide", such as giving out grants to schools to purchase IT equipment, and encouraging its staff to volunteer, but how does this affect the local community here in aberdeen?

4) is the company more interested in making £££ or in ensuring customer satisfaction? (i was considering using the example of my current employer [but refusing to name the company] which, in my mind, is more focused on keeping a customer on the phone [a premium rate number] as long as possible as opposed to ensuring they get an efficient and accurate service [even if that is in half the time] - i could also mention that i feel its better to get £10 off a customer every month for ten years than it is to get £10000 off them once).

What do you guys think? any further advice would be greatly welcomed!

Fergal[​IMG]

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

Here are my thoughts :-

4) Is the company more interested in making £££ or in ensuring customer satisfaction?

DO NOT SAY THIS. It may also be their policy, you may be talking yourself out of the job. Remember, they pay the wages; they call the tune. Anyway, your interviewer won't answer yes to this question anyway - so asking it is pointless.

I wouldn't bring your current employer down in any way. I was always taught that managers believe anyone who brings down their old company will be potental trouble makers.

If you are asked about your current company, always answer positively. "You enjoy your work there but feel scope for career development / personal improvement is limited & you are seeking a more challenging role."

3) the company seems keen on "bridging the digital divide", ...

They are more likely to ask this of you. Unless you have a stronger answer, talk about the benefits of a good IT education; how computers allow everyone to participate in technological advances ......

2) What opportunities for advancement are there ...
    Good question. Shows enthusiasm.

1) What makes the company .....
    I don't like the phrasing of this. Far better to try and find out for yourself & them when asked why you want the job say : I have researched your organisation & believe that << whatever makes the company better than the rest >> means a great opportunity blah blah blah..

FYI: The 10 most common skills employers look for are :
    Willingness to learn; Commitment; Dependability; Team work;Self-motivation; Communication skills(oral); Co-operation; Comm skills(written); Energy; Self-management.

Try and make sure some (ideally all) of these points come acrosss in an interview. BUT DON'T just say (for example) "I'm a good team worker"; it is better to say that "I'm a good team worker as can be seen by my experience in <<such and such a project>> " What I mean is don't give bland text-book answers. Leave those for everyone else. You back YOUR answers up with facts / evidence.

It is difficult to predict exactly WHAT they are going to ask you. They will basically try to assess your competance & personality. (Can you do the job technically & --more importantly -- will you fit in.) The panel will likely consist of a technical person & a manager / human resources person. You will need to be capable of answering whatever the technical person throws at you. The HR type will guage your personality so ensure you come across as having as many of the 10 attributes listed above as possible.

Hope this will help.

Do let us know. Also, if you don't get, it is alwas good practice. (Great Answers to Tough Interview Questions by Martin John Yate is a good reference.

Finally, I wish you well for Wednesday.

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I agree with Scooby
    some of those questions will lose you the job, these guys are giving you an oppertunity, try not to put them on a spot they dont want to be in, and never bad mouth a previous employer/manager

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good luck too.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Fergal1982

well, had the aptitude test today. it was the berger aptitude for programming test (for anyone who knows it). its basically a test where they teach you a basic programming language and then give you arithmitec (crap spelling i know) problems to program the computer to solve.

to be honest, i think i did really well. although i finished well under time, and was the first to finish! but we shall see. the plus side is that people will be rejected based solely on how well they did, as opposed to how well they did in comparison to the others (there was five of us in total!).

I'll find out how i did later today. stay tuned!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  6. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Fingers crossed for ya Fergal, hope it all works out in your favour! Sounds promising tho. [​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  7. Fergal1982

thanks guys. ok update time. got a phone call. passed the test, interviews are tomorrow morning! woo!

Fergal

8. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Congratulations and good luck! :p Go Fergie!

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

GO FERGAL :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good going mate. I've said it before...and I'll say it again: Kick azz...take names. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

A belated good-luck from me too, Fergal :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

Right Fergal, give it 1000000% .

AND LET US KNOW

13. Fergal1982

Well.......................

I received an email today. didnt get the job. ive asked for some feedback, and have asked them to keep me in mind for any future jobs. never mind i spose![​IMG][​IMG]

Fergal

14. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Unlucky mate, sorry to hear that [​IMG]

I'm sure you will land something soon mate, just gotta keep on trucking. [​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's tough mate but hit happens. I can't tell you how many interviews I burned through and no job happened. Remember not to personalize this. It's not you. Keep plugging away. It will happen. You'll get a job and one that you'll love. Man, if it can happen to me...it can happen to anyone. Hang tough.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Yeah, sorry to hear it Ferg - but put a positive on this (if you can). Did you pull some useful experience from it ? How did you feel you performed overall ? And the fact that you requested feedback can only help as well.

Onwards and upwards, my friend :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  17. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

Never mind Fergal. I ~ like most other people ~ have gone through many interviews. The important thing to do is keep trying. Few succeed on their first interview & there are always many people chasing the one job.

Next time, or the time after that. Your day will come !

18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry to hear about the bad news Fergal but it's already in the past. Keep looking to the future.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  19. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Same here mate, new year, new beginings and all that.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...