M$ Share Point

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by grim, Nov 8, 2007.

1. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

does anyone have any experience on Share Point as i've just been sent an email about a free event that's literally round the corner from me ? it's being run by ZyXEL and M$ and last a few hours and wondering if it's worth signing up for ?

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I think Tripwire is quite knowledgable on Sharepoint, you could PM him and see if he's about?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

what does it actually do ? i looked in M$ website and as usual it just one giant advertising board and doesn't tell you anything and wikipedia says this and as far as i can gather it allows you to access webpages and documents from a shared location which seems to be similar to lotus notes ?

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  5. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

free stuff dont come around that often...go for it and if you dont like it leave early

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, it's a collection of websites that allows collaboration between teams, departments, and organizations. It contains specialized website templates for organizing a wide variety of content and can then filter that content using various web-based tools to present information in the way required by company decision makers and stakeholders.

The reason its sounds like an infomercial is because it's difficult to describe. It does quite a lot in terms of collaboration and integration with other Office applications. For instance, you can compose a thread for a SharePoint discussion forum in an Outlook email and then "send" it to the appropriate board and thread just the way you'd send any other email.

Tasks can be tracked through a workflow process in SharePoint so if you create a report and submit it, you can set up the workflow to collect (electronic), approvals (or rejections), comments, and so on. Managers can target specific content to any user group and members of any group can create and use their own personal SharePoint MySites, set it up to share content with team members and advertise themselves on the system. Then, someone at a different office half a world away can use SharePoint's search engine to look for someone in the company with a particular talent. If you possess that talent and you've advertised that on your MySite, you'll come up in their search results. Then...

Well...anyway, it does a lot. You can compose blog content in Word 2007 and then directly from Word, add it to your SharePoint blog (same for a wiki). It just makes it very, very easy to share information and work within and across teams.

Along about January, I'm sending a couple of copies of my latest SharePoint Book to the UK where they'll be prices in a yet-to-be-announced CF contest. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi Tripwire

I've got to demonstrate a sharepoint solution to some teaching staff at work, for use in a secondary school. Would you object if I were to quote your definition? I'll obviously reference you as a source.

BTW, good luck with the book, I'll look out for it when it's released in the UK.

Thanks

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  8. Indo77

Indo77 Nibble Poster

I am a sharepoint developer for a further education college. One positive thing about sharepoint is the ability to import or develop customised webparts including compatible webparts for further education software (i.e. Blackboard). We have just finished developing a "my" portal for students. Students can basically view information like their grades, book loans and assessments online.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) HNC