Looking to take a Comptia + MCSE, what way should I go

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by dirtbag, Jan 20, 2008.

1. dirtbag

dirtbag New Member

Hi all, I have intermediate IT knowledge and had enough of my current leisure management career, although the money is not bad but it is time for a change and I have no other qualifications except an A level in P.E !

SO, my friends and family have always said I should go the IT route, well now I am gonna try !

I have had the Advent + Computeach "salesmen" I mean "Career advisors" around my home, telling me that I have more than average knowledge blah blah and I should go into IT, and that 5 months into the course I will be placed in a job, really ? NAH I don't buy that .
    I was quoted £4750 and £5250 with computeach being more expensive but offer free accomodation.
    The layout was

Comptia A+
    MCDST
    MCSA
    MSCE

Now then, imo no way is that value for money, am i wrong guys ??

I have found this college

http://www.bcoc.co.uk/a+_certificat...courses.aspx?gclid=CPD0hO63_pACFQpmMAodxXnHsQ

A+ Certification
    +
    MCSE Certification

Can any of you guys tell me if this is a better option, I dont live too far away from there. My parents life in Norfolk, are theer any colleges in that area that run those courses ?

thanks in advance

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The MCSE will be way over the top at this point, you should be looking at 'entry level' certs.

A+ Network+ MCDST.

Whilst studing for the A+ try and get youself and entry level position in an IT role ie helpdesk support.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, just focus on the A+ to start with. You don’t have to sign up to anything though, just get a couple of good books and an old PC to break\repair\rebuild.

The MCSE can take years to complete so you probably want to try some entry level certs before you commit to studying for the MCSE. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Go along to your local college and see if they do A+.
    Most do and it will not cost you more than £250.
    Some do Cisco IT Essentials 1 which would give you enough knowledge to take A+ once you finish it.
    And then decide once you have done it & found what it's like to then decide on the next step.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What they said.

MCSE students should have atleast one years experience in administering desktop and networked operating systems in a Job.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Also the link for the college you mentioned I think is not an actual colege like the one's the goverment fund I think it is more like a training proivder

Certifications: A few.
  7. just4abdullah

just4abdullah New Member

Hi,

man i have been on BCOC, just for advice dnt even think to go there i know the price is good but trust me its one of the worst college's i ever seen, i just waiste my money for realy, you better go for self study or if you drive try this training provider and the price is good as well and one day you will say thanks abdullah: www.compupeople.co.uk

where i work now everyone there been in this TP and they all pass's most of the exams without any complains, dnt go with these ppl who said u need at lease one year exp, i know some guys been to this training provider and they have a short exp in IT and now they holding MCSA and CCNA

cheers

Certifications: BTEC Diploma, CCNA, 2MCP'
    WIP: MCSA
  8. dirtbag

dirtbag New Member

thanks guys, so is computeach and advert over priced in your opinions ?

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

<Cough> It is Microsoft that state you should have at least one years experience see below. So you think you know better than them?

Source.. http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/faq.mspx

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think all training providers are expensive when you compare them to 'self study'. And many are a complete rip off. Be very careful and do your research before you decide what to do.

Search this forum for threads on Advent and Computeach and make your own mind up.

11. dirtbag

dirtbag New Member

Thanks for your advice all, im glad I took the advice especially about not taking too much on.

"Yup, just focus on the A+ to start with. You don’t have to sign up to anything though, just get a couple of good books and an old PC to break\repair\rebuild."

That peice was vital, thanks.

I have enrolled my comptia A+ with learnkey, and I am going at a steady pace, the other companies that offer these packages are too much on a plate for me with my job and kids etc.

Thanks Guys

Leigh

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It looks like you made the right choice. Step by step. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685