1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a little help, advice and guidance please

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Scott77, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Scott77

Scott77 New Member

Hi all.

As I said in my intro post I am coming in new to IT in terms of qualifications and the industry so am looking for a little help in what chain of certs i should be looking at.

A little back ground on myself :

I have upto present always worked in a production environment (factory), working my way up to production manager. For the last 6 or so years i have been tinkering with computers, mainly laptops in so much as stripping them down, repairing, upgrading, reinstalling etc, even did it as a little business for a while on the side. I have also in the past set up and run 2 VB forums that I have since passed on due to time constraints at that point in my life.

I have already decided to go down the self study route and wil be starting with the A+ and N+. I'm thinking that the networking side of things will be more up my street than say programming. I have no doubt i could do the programming but like I said, I like to be hands on too and I'm guessing programming is mainly mental work.

I have already ordered Meyers All in one guide (7th) and PC TEch Street Smarts to get started with.

Going on from the 2 certs I have mentioned what would be the route up the networking ladder? Would MCSA/MCITP be the next step or is there something in between?

Any help you guys can give would be much appreciated, or if you think form what I have said that I could look at another IT route then please feel free to suggest anything :)

2. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd recommend the MCDST and perhaps upgrading to the Vista and/or Win7 MCTS/MCITP exams... but no farther until you get some real-world server admin experience.
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Scott77

Scott77 New Member

Thanks for the reply :)
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to Certforums :D

Start looking for jobs now. You don't need certifications to get an entry level position (however this can make it easier). Also I agree with what Michael said, don't pursue higher level certifications until you get some real world experience under your belt.

Having said that I would also look at Microsoft Office certification track, because if you have a copy of Microsoft Office at home you can practice and it is widely used in corporate environments, so no harm done.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. Scott77

Scott77 New Member

Thanks Luke.

I am already keeping an eye out on the jobs front but personally i feel it would be better to at least get the A+ before applying, seems to make more sense to me to at least have the basic qualification. True i could get lucky and find a job without it, but having interviewed many people in my current line of work and knowing what I would look for as a minimum then I think I can hold out a few months to get the A+. I'm in this for the long haul so want to make sure I do it right from the start :)

Thanks for the Office tip, I will look into that too.

Forgive a maybe daft question guys, but what sort of job titles are considered entry level? I can see that Helpdesk is a widely used starting point but are there any others that I should be looking out for?