Logon Scripts

Discussion in 'Software' started by Danmurph, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me. I have to go to a customer site tomorrow and their server has gone down (two failed drives in a RAID 5 Array), anyway whilst the array is being rebuilt the customer is going to be without a server for a short while and I need to get them back up and running temporarily using a client machine to share data (they are only a small company).

My only question is this. I need to create a logon script for each user to map some drives. How do I do this for users who are logging into their domain profiles (not local). I need to put the scripts on each machine.
    The only way I can find to do this on the web is if the users are logging into local profiles (you then specify the logon script to use) but no where tells you how to do this for domain user profiles (not forgetting I know longer have the DC).

Hope you can help

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

A quick easily reversible way would be to stick a shortcut into the Start Menu > Startup folder.
    2 disks gone on the array? That will require a restore from backup as well as sorting the disks. There is no recovery from 2 going on raid 5 unless one used to be the hot spare.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Agreed. Also while they will be able to use domain profile with cached credential no network share will allow connection without authenticating Kerberos ticket with a DC (I think?)

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

I assume none of the client computers can connect to the domain since it down so I would have thought you would create a shared folder all computers can connect to and create a logon scripts in that folder so every can just double click on it to execute.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Not sure if you are at a clients that has multiple sites, if so they would normally have a VPN tunnel.

Change the router/firewall to be the DHCP server and make the DNS servers it dishes out the DC/DNS at the other site.

You will then have some domain functionality mate.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Forget my last message.

What you need to is create a new group policy for the the organization unit and edit the group policy.

Now goto User Configuration/Windows Settings/Scripts (Logon/Logoff).

Double click on Logon.

Click Show Files.

You need to create a file with a .bat extension etc Logon.bat and put in some like this below in the logon.bat file

net use Z: \\Server name\Shared Folder\%username%
    net use Y: \\Server name\Shared Folder\%username%
    net use W: \\Server name\Shared Folder\%username%

Save the file.

Now click on add and browse the logon.bat file and click ok twice.

Run a gpupdate in command prompt or run.

Now all users when logged the map network drive will be displayed in my computers.

On a personal note I rather used folder redirection methods rather than above.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How many users? If you have no servers available you might be best to log the users on with their cached profiles and then map the drives manually onto the PC.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs