Loft conversion

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Aug 6, 2011.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Bit random but have any of you converted your lofts to use as a man cave? I'm tempted to get mine done so I can go missing up there. I'd probably put my server up there, no doubt buy a second, maybe a projector for films etc.

Anyone done anything similar? I don't have a desk at the moment so I might get one and do my on call/OOH work up there too

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This is a work in progress for me. The chap who lived in this house before me had ran some cables into the loft for the orginal Sky dish I think. Anyways I have removed the cable and ran my own network cable with a small switch at the end so I can run three physical servers in the loft. Its a fairly tidy setup and means I can leave the servers on without annoying the wife.

The loft is floored but its a bit dodgey so need to get that sorted first before phase 2 - fridge for beer!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ive boarded all mine out and put lighting up there but its mainly for storage. Its not somewhere that i would want to spend loads of time in, simply because its not safe to do so and its too hot.

If you want to actually convert it onto a proper room then its going to cost thousands to do it properly. The chances are that the beams up there are too thin so you will either need to double the thickness up (think it needs to be 6 inches + but dont quote me on that) or get steel supports up there. Theres also got to be a fire escape up there and a proper staircase leading up there. Not cheap at all :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Cheers guys, probably not practical for me to be attic boy just yet then although I like your thinking Sparkles on putting the servers up there, I'm always getting stick for my server which is currently in my bedroom :S

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi

I did look in to this a couple of years a ago for extra space but after doing all the working out, it was going to be far to big a project and the cost of local builders doing it was about £15000 I think. The biggest problem was that you have to install a staircase as stated by Raffaz, putting this in ment I would lose space in one bedroom which went against what I was trying to do in gaining more space.

I used this website as guide Loft Conversions - essential guides, information and inspiration in the end I put some loft boards down and added some lights and use the space for storage, I have also ran some network cables and put my servers up there. Power was the biggest problem as all new electrical work within a domestic setting must comply with Part P of the Building Regulations

Hope this helps.

Regards

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
    Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I quite often go up to the loft to hide for a bit of 'me' time.

I haven't had it converted though.

That would make it too obvious... 8)

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD