Live8 - 2005 - for Africa

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Jakamoko, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Live 8 2005

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd start a post for everyone to add their comments as today's gigs and events unfold around the Globe
    . Post your thoughts, opinions and comments on the gigs and bands and artists as they play wherever your watching from. Lets hope we can get as many comments here as possible, as it shows we're watching or listening, and most of all, it shows that we're paying attention to WHY this is happening.

This is for Africa, and to make the worlds leaders realise the strength of opinion that is held around the world by us and millions like us.

Now over to you Guys - enjoy the music, wherever you are...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

WOW !!! OK, so I'm the first to answer my own post, but when U2 and Macca walked on stage just there and launched into Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club, I was totally blown away !!! THIS is what it's all about folks - fabulous music for fabulous reasons. :thumbleft

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

most the people going to live8 dont even know where africa is, that or they think its a country
    they got free tickets to see celebraties, thats all they wanted (insert random chav insult here)

this event will proove nothing to the world leaders, the march up in scotland will be more useful

just my 2p :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. farmer

farmer Byte Poster

macca and u2 were brilliantjust seen coldplayand richard ashcroft amazing

Certifications: C&G level 2, ECDL, IC3, MOS
    WIP: city and guilds level3 , a+
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Got to say, I think thats a prety insulting and derogatory statement, and to say they got "free" tickets will apply to a small number of the people who genuinely paid and travelled, near or far, to be there - but it's your opinion, and as always, that's what we're lucky to have. :)

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Perhaps Jak, but having heard just that sort of people go on and on about the 'bands' all week, and then not having a clue what its for 'err its for charity in africa' i believe it to be pretty accurate

I doubt you will find many world leaders believing everyone watching the event is doing so because they believe in its cause

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Maybe, but I was thinking about this whilst out earlier, and maybe there are a number of "freeloaders" there today, but I think most seem clear on the distinction between todays events and those of next week. There seems to be a pre-determined focus on raising awareness of G8 at Live8, which I guess is pimarily Geldof's goal anyway. I think so far, it's been done in a positive way, and if more people can be educated, and even shamed into understanding what's at stake across Africa from G8's outcome, then thats only a good thing.

Also, I dont think any of the 8 leaders would dare to not be able to acknowledge todays events upon questioning (and hopefully they will face questions on the world's attention to Live8 ). So maybe we are getting closer to the ultimate objective after all.

EDIT: There also seems to be quite a strong message that this is NOT for "cherridee", as it's long been clear that just sending bundles of ca$h to Africa just further lines the pockets of the corrupt powers there anyway. This is about re-drawing the lines, and also bringing Fair Trade to the fore. Surely no-one can argue paying an extra 10p on their coffee or bananas.

Getting back to the music - I'd say so far it's all good (although I felt sick seeing the overweight regurgitation that was Duran Duran in Rome). Hopefully the best is yet to come with the newer bands still to play.

Coldplay with Richard Ashcroft doing Bitter Sweet was pretty unforgettable for me as well. :thumbleft

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Great Post Jak, and I agree, I understand what Geldofs aim is, and I really hope he manages it, I just know its not going to be as easy as it sounds, and that there are a fair percentage of people who dont give a damn really, and thats a shame

Whilst I agree no world leader is going to play dumb and pretend this event didnt happen, what I meant was that most of them will know (alot better than I) the numbers that really matter and the numbers that really just wanted to watch some free music, they also have a much better understanding of the econonmical and geopolitical consequences of any decisions made (something I dont always feel Geldof does)

I guess only time will tell how many people really learnt something from the events, and how many decided to help make a difference

Edit: I know full well its not for 'cheridee' mate, I was quoting the sort of response i get from others, I mean how can they think its for charity? nobody paid a penny to be there, its about a message, but that message needs to be backed by people who give a damn about it, and not the freeloaders that want a free show
    perhaps im a bit pesimistic living in london, but i see all too many of the latter

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I'll throw in a quick apology while we're at it - I didn't realise the gigs were free. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Somethink that points up the "we realise charity is now pointless" undertone can be seen on the tag line on live8live.com's front page - "We don't want your money - we want your face"

For once, we seem have realised that it's about opening eyes and minds, not wallets.

Strangely, that realisation makes it somehow easier to stomach watching those mega-millionaires introducing their sets, that caused a few comments elsewhere on here this week.

Also, comments on Bill Gates apperance ??? I certainly didn't see it coming, but unfortunately due to a crying nephew while he was on (Linux fan of the future, maybe ?) I didn't get to hear much of his speech :wink:

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Just watched Nelson Mandela's speech from Jo'burg (after a 4-5 minute ovation) on News24. He spoke beautifully in his frail state - clearly his mind is still strong. I'll quote just 5 words that, to me, sum up his speech:

To me, thats what this is about - getting rid of the above with 8 signatures.

Flick over to Berlin, Greenday, American Idiot:

Perhaps slightly out of context, but it just seemed to fit beautifully.

I apologise for hijacking my own Thread, but even if it's no more than a blog of today, I think it's worth it. :oops:

11. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I have noticed that the standard of Drumming on the US side far overshadows the UK drumming effort! Some real good US session drummers in action, normally you don't see these guys as they are locked away in studios or are on seperate tours...but Live 8 has brought them under one roof...it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!! Awesome drumming from the US! As usual!

Seeya

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Seems that a few hours back, the engineers managed to fix the prob of crap sound on-stage for the bands, and since then the whole thing sounds so much better.

You can hear the crowd now when the bands are on, and Scissor Sisters were great, Robbie even better, and then the Who were just, just, .......... awesome !!!!!!!!!!

Only a few more minutes till Pink Floyd come on .....

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Pink Floyd ............... :colour

14. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

That was F***ing amazing.

Robbie Williams, The Who and Pink Floyd (been a fan of theirs for years) were all fantastic. The rest of the artists were great as well and it was a good show throughout and I for one wish to commend the organisers, the performers and by no means last Sir Bob for the show today. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

It seems that they had made some progress before the concerts had even begun..

according to the wikipedia article on live8

Result!
    its a good start, but knowing full well just how many of the worlds countries are third world classified, and in debt, its a small one at best!

Perhaps if they realise the economical impact to be negligable they will expand upon this

16. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I was lucky enough to get tickets to the event and although there may have been thousands there that didn't see the point I would hope that there are now millions worldwide that do realise the point now. The makepovertyhistory campaign is not about raising money as I have tried to point out in another thread here, its more about raising the awareness and starting the wheels turning on bringing change to the the world we live in. In the 21st century that we live in today and there are millions of humans that don't have the basic necessities of life that we all take for granted, there are millions that don't have the food and clean water we have, there are million that don't have the voice to make change that we have.

It is hoped and I truly wish that it happens that we can bring about change and that we can help our fellow men, women and children and that with the voice of celebrities and rock stars enough people will take notice and mostly the 8 most powerful men will take notice and do something about it. The fact is that people are dying and it does have to be like this.

Yes there is more to this than just a rock concert, there are corrupt dictators that endorse and line there pockets from unfair trade and corruption, theres civil war, theres neglect and poverty but this should not still be the way. After 20 years since the last Live Aid event it still is the way.

Oh and Pink Floyd ROCKED!!!! :git :rocks

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  17. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

This is how I found the concert (just my opinion):

High Points:

Velvet Revolver: always great to see the former Guns 'n' Roses members bashing some hard rock out. Matt Sorum's drumming was the most powerful of the night, always good to see him play!
    U2: Oh man...they rocked!! The Sgt Pepper thing didn't do much for me to be honest but I did find it enjoyable!
    Bill Gates What a shock that was, fair play to him! Pity the CEO's of Suse or Red Hat didn't turn up though!
    Rick Gervais His replay of the Office dance was great!
    Madonna Fantastic!
    Philly 95% of the US session drummers were awesome!
    The Who Very good performance from these ageing rockers! I believe Steve White (Paul Weller) was on drums?
    Craig David Awesome!

Low Points:

Coldplay Breaking into Status Quo was just real cheesey and embarrassing!
    Travis Like Coldplay they put on a strong performance but then ruined it all by trying to cover a Beegees song...very embarrassing!
    Jonathon Ross Crap jokes and the need to slag off everything started to get on my nerves!
    Sting I'm usually a great fan of this guy but his performance was real...boring!
    Duran Duran The BBC could of shown us more of these guys! Shame on the beeb!
    Pink Floyd I missed it! damn...

Thats all that stood out for me!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  18. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

Hi,
    I was lucky enough to be there -
    Cracking night, with a message everybody knew and understood.
    I think that is the best way to describe it.
    Jam.

Certifications: MCSA: Security! GCSE Nautical studies
    WIP: On a break.