Linux Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by itskillsguy, Feb 1, 2010.

1. itskillsguy

itskillsguy Nibble Poster

Hi all,

Looking into a course for a partner who wants to gain a basic knowledge in Linux. I came across a course with the OU and am very interested to see what others think of it ...

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/t155.htm (Open University course titled "T155-Linux: An Introduction")

Thanks all.

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

There's nothing on that course that wouldn't be covered by a decent Linux book*. The internet is awash with Linux material as well, it being a child of the internet.
    I think the most important thing you need to get to grips with Linux is practice. Lots and lots of practice.

* Linux+ or LPIC1 material might be worth looking at as well as distro-specific texts.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. teraknor

teraknor New Member

Yes looks very interesting, taking a look at the site you have linked to I can see that they are using Ubuntu, this must be worth a punt

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Its an entirely online course for 10 weeks, you will not get a tutor or tutor groups, as such its a little expensive, you might be better off with other materials.

5. teraknor

teraknor New Member

Knowing the Open University as i do, they are very particular about ensuring that there is online support, normally in courses i have known at the open university they use tutors or moderators to support students and answer questions (from the sublime to the outlandish) ... they seem to rate highly in the UK and seem to also have international credibility

6. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Looks very basic to me, as has already been suggested, have alook online there are quite a few free basic courses around that will give a head start, here's just one of many links :-

http://www.yolinux.com/

Hth

Steve.L

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna