1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

linux newbie needs help

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Danmurph, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hey guys,

As you may have read in my previous posts I am starting a new job in a couple of weeks and I am really looking forward to it.
    The problem is (and they are aware and are willing to train me) is that their systems are linux based and I know nothing about it so am starting from scratch.
    From the job spec I can see the company use fedora 8 - 10 and shorewall.
    I just want to get a head start so I know a bit when I start so can anyone point me in the right direction.
    I've found a few resources for linux for beginners but will this information relate to fedora. I'm sorry if I sound stupid I'm just a little confused :oops:
    Also how do I download and install shorewall so I can have a play,
    Ive done a bit of reading but just want to make sure I'm moving in the right direction.
    Thanks alot, sorry again, I know you must be thinking this employer is mad, but I am very dedicated! :D

Danny

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Grab this book and you can download shorewall from there site with lots of documentation.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
    Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Why not get it and put it on a spare partition

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

I've got fedora on virtual PC, its just getting started with the language, I'm OK with the interface, problem is, I don't really know what I'm looking for I think, the employer told me not to worry but I just want to get a bit of a grounding and wondered if there is anyway I can do this, I want to make a good impression, you know what its like :D

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There are loads of tutorials on the net, typing commands is very similar to Unix and Dos just a slight difference in how you do it and the response that you get.

have a look at this for a list of each command and what it does http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE