Linux: Mono & .Net Development

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Fergal1982, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

So, has anyone here tried to use Mono on a Linux machine to develop using the .Net framework at all? What, if anything, have you got to say about the experience?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Never used it, but curious why you would want to develop .NET apps on Linux.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

The mono project was set up to allow .net apps to be ported into Linux, to allow those developing apps to produce a version for Linux for distribution. Its just common sense really. If I develop an app in .Net for windows, and decide I want to bring out a version for Windows, I'm not going to want to waste a shedload of time having to write it in a completely different language. Giving an option which makes the translation onto Linux as easy as possible (not seamless, but you cant ever get that), makes it more likely that mainstream apps are given a life in Linux.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

That makes sense. I was only looking at it from one perspective, why write .NET apps for Linux. I wasn't thinking about porting existing apps. For some reason that just didn't occur to me. Don't know why, must be having a brain fart of some kind.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1