Linkedin

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Rob1234, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I am thinking about joining?

Wondered what people who have joined thought of it and got out of it?

Certifications: A few.
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've been using it for a while, great tool to market yourself and also make connections with like minded individuals. Good for job hunting too, at least in my experience.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Great for building professional network. I do have the feeling I'm not getting the most out of it but I also don't put any time in managing my profile. I just add connections as I meet people. Helped me many times to get in touch with a person I wanted to get in touch with who happened to be in my network as a 2nd degree connection.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I find it a bit meh tbh. I do use it to build connections but if I want to talk to someone I'll usually tweet them or (rather old fashioned I know) pick up the phone.

I use the groups a bit I get easily frustrated by all the junk you have to sift through to get to an actual post by an actual person.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
    Sparky likes this.
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not for me – too many people saying they got “head hunted” on linkedin which actually means a recruitment agency called just to get some more info for their candidate database.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    Rob1234 likes this.
  6. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Ive got a profile but dont really use it much or manage my profile. I pop on there every now and again and click connect on anyone i know under the "recommended connections" page but other than that its no use to me. It may come handy when i want to progress in my career and maybe find a new job but until then.....

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  7. jb87

jb87 Bit Poster

I recommend using LinkedIn.

You can put a lot of details about your career history and your skills, than in a CV. On a CV, it's usually 2-3 pages, and need to keep it short.

8. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

I use it when going for an interview. Mainly to find out about the person interviewing me. It's good to know as much about them as they do about you :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  9. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

This :D

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Honestly mate, its different where I live, at least for me, I don't I ever got contacted by a recruiter just to put my name in the DB, they probably already do it without contacting me since all my experience is on my LinkedIn profile :twisted:.

I do however get contacted for positions/contracts that are open. Also from time to time, some sales guys will try and sell me tech.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, I know it’s not the same for everyone and some people are quite grounded about the whole thing.

I do look up some people I have worked with who now claim to be a company directors when in fact they are not, they also claim to run their own company despite not registering the company name or producing company accounts – basically a complete load of BS some people put online.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That's true, I've seen that happen many times! I've seen people list all kinds of skills and then when you meet them and work with them... its a completely different story.

13. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

I use it for various things I've found it handy for, and have had some good leads from recruiters et al that have paid off in the past.