1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning resources

Discussion in 'A+' started by dave08, Dec 9, 2008.

1. dave08

dave08 New Member

Right, Im gonna start buying books and stuff to teach myself the A+, Which books should i be looking to get, Ive read that the Mike Meyers AIO is the best, is this still the case ? Thanks. Also ive read on here that an new version of the the CompTIA exams are comin out, Obviously im gonna start with the essentials then do the A+, but how long until they start doin these new exams and would the book i mentioned earlier still suffice ? Thanks again.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Yup - along with our own Tripwire's Street-smarts book.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The Mike Meyers AiO is the de facto standard for the A+ exams and has been for years. Harry gave a plug to my book, which is more of a lab manual made up of real-life tasks culled from actual desktop support trouble tickets. It's called PC Technician Street Smarts. If you're a "hands-on" guru and have been repairing and maintaining computers for ten years, it won't teach you much. If being a desktop support person is only a theory for you right now, the scenarios (almost 100 of them) might prove illuminating.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. dave08

dave08 New Member

thanks ppl, I will probably get ur book aswell tripwire as it sounds perfect for some hands on stuff, Ive built a few computers for friends and family but never really had many problems to deal with.

5. dave08

dave08 New Member

Im thinking of ordering the Mike Meyers AIO book today but is there a chance that a new edition is gonna come out soon or am i safe gettin the sixth edition ?

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Usually the new edition lags the introduction of the exam by a few months. As I don't believe that there is any date for a new exam I'd buy the current edition!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I used Exam Cram2 books coupled with Cisco IT Essentials 1 & passed 1st time back in 2006.
    Some people prefer self study, but i find a tutor-led course starts me off & i soon find what i need to learn by finding out what i dont really know! This way you also get to use resources that may not be open to you through self-study alone.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+