LCC vs LCC-MUX

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Stoney, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Anybody who knows their stuff when it comes to ADSL and PPPoE etc, this is for you!

Can I replace an ADSL router/gateway that is currently using LCC-MUX encapsulation with one that can only offer LCC encapsulation?

I have spent all afternoon reading about PPPoE, PPPoA, ATM, LCC, VPC, blah blah blah and I am none the wiser! Hopefully one of you knowledgable chaps will be able to help?

Many thanks,

Paul

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Are you sure it is PPPoE? In the UK the preference is for PPPoA, but some ISPs allow the oE variant in some places.

IMHO almost any DSL modem on sale in the UK will work here, and *sometimes* these differences are merely semantics. However - I'm not familiar with LCC-MUX - the usual setting is VC-MUX.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey Harry,

It's definitely PPPoE. It's for an ADSL2 line in France.

France Telecom have setup our line with this Livebox router which only allows one VPN connection outbound. We need more than one and was just comparing the settings on the Livebox to a spare router we have back in the UK that I know allows multiple VPN.

I think LCC-MUX is used because the line does VoIP and Video conferencing as well as normal ADSL2.

I can't really test this until I go back out to France which may be too late if I take the wrong router! :blink

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

And you expect an UK forum to know? :twisted:
    I still have no idea what LCC-MUX might be - but this *may* be a translation problem. And doing VOIP and video conf doesn't require any special settings in the UK.

Perhaps you need to find a French forum to ask this on.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+