Laws/Rules

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Nov 4, 2007.

1. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

I did - I prefer to do so openly

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

For a minute I thought that god character had come back start a post wind everyone up and watch them go at each other.

Certifications: A few.
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

No but he and a certain other poster on CF would make a great couple :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Come on guys - grow up.

This technical forum is reading more like a junior school playground.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

A very interesting topic has been raised here and I would really like to see this thread get back to discussing that topic instead of actual breaking and entering cases and which is the best weaon to kill someone with.

So, back to topic. You have been warned.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Several months ago, my next door neighbor woke up to find an intruder in his kitchen. At first, he thought the fellow was a guest of his son's who had spent the night but then noticed how nervous the person was. I guess the intruder had been assaulted and had a gash on his leg. My neighbor maneuvered the person out the front door and called the police. For the next few hours, we had police officers all over the neighborhood trying to find the person. At one point, I saw him cross the street right in front of my house while the police were searching elsewhere. I called 911 and tried to put them on the track, but they lost him anyway.

No, you don't automatically have to shoot an intruder, but that said, they have no right to just enter your home uninvited and you are justified to do whatever is necessary to protect yourself and your home. In this case, my neighbor just talked him into leaving but if he'd refused to go, who knows what would have happened.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Lock the door.
    And hope they don't have blasters.

:unsure

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Nope. I've taken several psych courses at the college level, have read several college level psych textbooks besides the one's for the courses I've taken, and have just in general done a lot of reading in this area because human nature is really interesting to me. It always has been. I spent almost 10 years studying temperaments as a hobby.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  9. ffreeloader

Yup. I am a great believer in just rules. I am always against rules/licenses/eulas etc... that try to limit the legitimate rights people have, and are therefore unjust. Just rules are something that benefit everyone. Unjust rules benefit the few at the expense of the many. With the wording of the MS EULA it requires a person to give up their rights. I completely reject that type of agreement/rule.

Rules, laws, etc... are only good when they benefit everyone. Being a supporter of a rule just because it's a rule is to me something that is pretty heinous. That's like saying I have to support some political candidate just because he is being put forth by the political party I am a member of. To me, I can't see anything dumber than doing that. I'm loyal to principle, to truth, above all other loyalties. Those things come first. Anything less allows a person to be bought off, to be liable to corruption. I'll be loyal to a person too, unless they place me in a position where I would have to compromise my principles, then the principles come first. The way I see things, honesty requires it.

10. ffreeloader

I think you mistake a "rule" like "the world is flat", for a moral rule. I don't see any equivalency between the two. How does the idea that the world is flat or round change the behavior of people, with respect to morals and how they treat each other? I don't see that it could.

Rules such as that are open to each human to accept or reject as far as Christianity goes. They make no difference.

In the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve were given only 1 rule. That rule was don't eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Everything else was open and acceptable for them. They had 1 limitation and 10's of 1,000's of freedoms. Not too many restrictions in my mind. Yet, they ate, and why? Because the serpent convinced them that God was unjust in keeping them from eating from that one tree. It didn't matter that everything else was OK. We see this same behavior in in humanity today. You tell someone they can have everything but, and they will end up wanting the but.

So, was it worth it? Absolutely not. Can most people see that? No. Why? Because we humans only know one reality. We've never seen anything else. All we know are sickness, death, dishonesty, man being cruel to his fellow man, etc.... How are we really supposed to visualize life without all those things? It's pretty difficult. It takes a major paradigm shift to be able to do it.

11. ffreeloader

Just gotta get your licks in.... :D

Ummm.... If you go back to some of the other threads on this forum that have been about religion, you will find people stating exactly what I have stated here. They don't like Christianity because of its rules. They don't like being told what they should, and should not, do. They dislike the very concept. That is almost a verbatim quote of the words used.

Now, I used Christianity's rules here as an example of people disliking rules, even though the rules were for their own protection, because people here have stated their dislike of Christianity's moral rules. That's about all Christianity has to do with this thread. I'm far more interested in why someone would reject a rule that is for their benefit than anything else.

Of course, I know you'll say I'm lying, but I think my record around here of saying exactly what I think says different. I have a "reputation" for saying things even when it's unpopular to do so, and standing by what I say. I err much more on the side of honest bluntness than that of misdirection. I'm sure you'll say this is just an example of my misdirection, but then your view of me is pretty clouded by your personal dislike of me.

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I wonder were on earth this kind of thing will stop? Criminals using RPG's and police driving around in APC's? I have always thought that the gun laws in the USA are crazy really. This whole right to bears arms thing that so many people seem to hold so dear is more like a right to get shot ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

It makes a lot of sense when you consider how our country got started in the first place. The idea is that, if only the police and military has firearms, then it's just one step closer to becoming a "police state". While I'm not a "gun nut", I do believe in the right to "bear arms". My father was an avid hunter in his younger days and taught me how to shoot a handgun, rifle, and shotgun. He's a lifetime member of the NRA (National Rifle Association) so I was raised with a healthy respect for firearms.

The vast, vast majority of firearm owners in the U.S. are responsible people who possess them for home protection and sport. Unfortunately, any privilege can be abused. Think of having a driver's license. The majority of drivers are responsible people who drive safely, but a small percentage of them drive drunk or are otherwise dangerous behind the wheel. Does this mean we should take cars away from *everyone* just because of a minority of the population?

15. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

the safest city in America from 2006 was, i believe, in Georgia. The city wasn't very large, but has a law in it's books that states every head of household must own a gun. So it stands to reason that if you break into a house there you will get shot. So I would go with the right to bear arms doesn't give criminals the upper hand. Also I do not know if you guys heard about the Virginia Tech shootings over there in the UK, but we had some crazy jackass go off and shoot several people at a college in Virginia. He was stopped due to a self inflicted gunshot wound. Prior to this there have been a few people who have tried and each of them have been stopped by someone who went to their car and got the legally owned and carried gun and put and end to the crazy. So basically before you bash the right to bear arms you may want to think about how useful it is to chase a criminal down the street with a stick asking them to stop or else you'll just keep running. :biggrin

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It makes criminals think twice before intruding if they believe they could get shot when they enter someone's residence illegally. Thus... I don't get shot because they stay away.

If you ban guns... then only criminals will have guns.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

No, what it does is almost guarantee that a criminal will come into your home armed is what it does ...

No matter how you want to justify it, the massive amount of guns in the USA is the reason you have a massive number of deaths from guns. If you guys are happy to live in that kind of environment, then fair play to you.

The United States leads the world's richest nations in gun deaths -- murders, suicides, and accidental deaths due to guns - according to a study published April 17, 1998 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the International Journal of Epidemiology.

The U.S. was first at 14.24 gun deaths per 100,000 people. Two other countries in the Americas came next. Brazil was second with 12.95, followed by Mexico with 12.69.

Japan had the lowest rate, at 0.05 gun deaths per 100,000 (1 per 2 million people). The police in Japan actively raid homes of those suspected of having weapons.

# U.S.A. 14.24
    # Brazil 12.95
    # Mexico 12.69

# England and Wales 0.41
    # South Korea 0.12
    # Japan 0.05

Unsurprisingly, the countries with the lowest deaths per capita are the ones with very strict controls on guns. I'm not some rabid anti-gun lobbyist but it just makes me incredulous when people suggest that more guns are a solution to the problem that guns caused in the first place.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A criminal is going to come armed whether YOU have a gun or not.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Not in this country they don't, or rather it would be highly unusual if they did. Why do you think that is?

20. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Armed, but not necessarily with a gun :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009