Late Starter

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by BaldrickUK, Apr 25, 2005.

1. BaldrickUK

BaldrickUK New Member

First the good news, I'm 48 so all you whizzkids can relax :biggrin However, it is my intention to get MCSE 2003 certification.

My background, ex Royal (H)Air(y) Force, into PC's right from the beginning (was once proficient in Worperfect for Dos Macros)

Currently teaching various technical subjects to wannabe pilots and am also IT manager for the same small company (Win 2000 server and 10 XP Pro workstations)

I'm great at fixing any hardware problems (my forte) but also have to manage the server, but that's where I'm not sure what's the best way forward.

Do you, the experts, think I'll be okay doing an intensive 14 day course to MCSE with my background. I'm not worried about the learning, as I still have to learn and absorb new facts almost everyday. I also designed and maintain our website (if that helps)

I suppose my main concern is that although I understand the concepts etc, I've never really had to do more than a basic install, set up a few users and groups, and then fault find the usual problems.

Okay </ramble> Thoughts?? I'm thinking of doing the Training Camp intensive course, couldn't find much about them here.

Certifications: None yet, all experience
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

If you have pretty sound technical skills and good learning ability then the fast paced courses can often proove beneficial, my first MCSES (NT4) I did in a similar fasion when I was 14 and still retain alot of that knowledge, although that is due to practical use not the course, once u have the exams out of the way, remember to practice those skills, at work for real, at home for fun, whatever :)

Good luck mate, hope you stick around our little community for a while :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, BaldrickUK. Welcome to CertForums. At age 50, I don't really consider myself a "whiz kid" but thanks for the complement. Hope you are enjoying the place. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

whats a whizkid? is that oldie talk for ubergeek?
    ill take it as a compliment then ;D

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the Forum :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

BaldrickUK, personally I wouldn't go down the route of doing the MCSE in 14 days I really think you have to have sound knowledge of what the MCSE teaches you before even attempting to go down that route. I would personally do the CompTIA Network+ first to give you a grounding of Networking and maybe even the CompTIA A+ (CompTIA) to brush up on your Hardware/Software skills then do the MCSE but maybe over a longer period of time. There is a major amount to learn for an MCSE and if your unfamiliar with some of the technologies then you are going to struggle with it. Doing certs isn't about getting a piece of paper but about absorbing what your learning to apply it to IT in the real world and to develope your skills and knowledge.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

If you ubergeeks studied more history, maybe you'd know what a "whizkid" is. :tongue

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum mate. I'd tend to go with Slypie on this one. It seems you still have a job so why not take it easy and do it long term. When you can practise what you learn, you learn it properly and I think you could do this better in your own network.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

whilst i do enjoy a good bit of history trip
    i dont consider learning an archaic form of dialect used only by my parents, a valued use of my time :)

*awaits an equally witty comback from the great advisor*

*then remembers he should probably hide from trips senior mod powah*
    /me runs away

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi BaldrickUK, welcome from me too. The Guys have pretty much covered everything, so basically just make yourself at home, and sing out / join in as and when you can.

Cheers m8 :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

:remembers that with great power comes great responsibility and decides to cut the young upstart some slack.

:remembers that he shouldn't hijack threads too much: :tongue

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Right ....ENOUGH !!!!!!!!! :x

Can you Guys PLEASE settle upon which comment syntax is in use in this Thread ???? First it's /, then * followed by / , and culminating with :

I mean what kind of message is that sending out to our New Members ???

<scarpers in fear of retribution from all above participants>

:biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Welcome to CF! Can't really add to what the others have said, so good luck with your studies. :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

That were a witty and diverse bunch that can chance pace (and syntax) as quick as the changing wind? :)