last questions for today (wan questions)

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by kobem, Dec 30, 2006.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

we can use utp,stp,fiber cables in lan connections
    while connecting switches to hubs or hubs to pcs ....

while we were linking two routers which cables should we use?
    i asked this for two

1- if these routers are in the same building ?
    2- if they are in the each branch office of a company ?

note : i looked at dce and dte cables but if routers are far from away each other we cannot link them?

last one: can we use fiber between routers?:rolleyes:

Certifications: CCNA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've just realized that these questions have been in the Cisco Forums. As I'm not a Cisco certified engineer my answers have been generic, rather than the sort the you might have to give in CCNA. I'm going to do the same with these.

Depends on distance apart. If less than 100metres then UTP. If more then fibre. If not much over 100metres then I'd use a single switch in the middle and use UTP because it is easier to install.
    Depends on how you intend to link the branches and the distance involved. You could lay fibre, or use a radio link, or use a VPN over DSL, or leased lines. Lots of choices.
    As far as I know these cables are *serial* cables (correct me CCNA experts?) so have the limitations that serial has.
    Yes. As long as the routers have a fibre connection.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

To connect the following: Either Copper (Cat V or Cat VI) or Fiber

Assuming you are going to use Copper:

Switch to Switch requires a crossover cable
    Switch to Router requires a straight through cable
    Switch to Hub requires a crossover cable
    Switch to Workstation requires a straight through cable

Linking two routers through what type of connection? If you were going to use the ethernet/fastethernet port you would use a Copper (Cat V or Cat VI) crossover cable if you connected them back to back.

If you were connecting them through a serial port you would need a back to back serial cable.

If the two routers were in different branch offices you would need to set up a WAN and you have many different choices but most likely you would be connect through either T1 or DSL of some type.

I am fairly certain that the serial cables have around a 10' or 3meter maximum cable length although you could do a google search on that and find out.

Hopefully this helps. And with anything that I post if someone finds an error please correct me. We are all learning. :biggrin

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Is this currently the "Cisco correct" answer? For other routers and switches the current enthusiasm for MDI/MDX design makes cross-over cables redundant, which must cut down on the support headaches!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

I actually don't have a hub to check that portion, but I went back to verify and yes. I think we both agree that a switch 2 pc is a straight through. ;)

Switch 2 Switch = crossover
    Switch 2 Router = straight through

I verified it on a 3550, 2950 for the switches and a 2620 for the router.

I don't know about the headache issue. I would rather use color coded patch cables and not rely upon the MDI/MDX crossover function.

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall