1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser Mouse

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

One of our staff abroad sent us a copy of a quote for a keyboard and mouse for approval. the company had listed the mouse as a laser mouse, and added in brackets next to it that optical was obselete.

I have to say this kinda gets my goat up. How can optical be obselete? we're talking about fecking MOUSE technology here. BALLS arent obsolete (just a nightmare with fluff etc).

I reckon these guys just wanted to sell their more expensive laser mice to a clueless punter. If a customer asks for a quote on optical. GIVE them bloody optical. you can always suggest that laser is newer, but at the end of the day i dont particularly see that there is a great deal of difference on this. Yes there is more sensitivity in movement detection but woohoo!

Rant over

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

As you say. waste of loot! :blink
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

LOL. And I still have yet to try an optical mouse..... I'm still using the Microsoft PS/2 mouse that I bought with my first computer back in 1999. I still use the same wired Microsoft Natural keyboard I bought back then too. (Just because the the letters are worn off a few of the keys is no reason to change it) I guess I'm just completely obsolete.....
    Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I do believe laser would still fall under the optical category if im not mistaken
    the technology is identical bar the fact it uses a laser rather than an LED

atleast, thats my understanding
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Think of the advantages.

If there was a nuclear attack on GB, we could all point our laser mice up. Thus neutralising the threat. :D

BTW. My friends laser mouse has left a mass of squiqqly burnholes on his desk & burnholes on his carpet :(
    Certifications: None
    WIP: A+