Laptop screen problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mojorisin, Nov 9, 2005.

1. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Hi All

I have a problem with my son's laptop when you power it on the screen goes white and doesnt show anything but if you connect an external monitor it shows ok

I have tried a different working lcd screen and also changed all the cables going to the screen from the board

Did a google search and most people suggested a cable gone bad but even with them all changed still the same

Beginning to think the connection on the board must have gone

Any ideas ?:blink

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The screen itself may be going bad. If such is the case, there's not much to be done.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. mojorisin

I have tried another working lcd screen on it still the same

Think the laptop had been in the words of my son "bumped" slightly :biggrin

so iam left with a working laptop without a screen .....oh well could always use it as a server or something hooked upto a monitor

out of every disaster ......:biggrin

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

the screen of most laptops these days is the most expensive part to be fixed/replaced best to get a new latptop...its not a good thing when the screen goes bad...if other people have tried to fix the problem but its still occuring then I would not bother with it cos you will end up paying more to get it fixed...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. mojorisin

From reading on the web it seems more likely a motherboard/cable issue as the backlight on the screen still comes on its just not displaying anything

That and having used another working lcd on it and getting the same result

oh well another machine to use as a server ...

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We had a similar problem with a lappy coming into the workshop. the tech dealing with it tried everything and the one thing that worked was D/L the latest drivers, starting in safe mode, deleting the drivers and then reinstalling them. It worked but none of us can understand why :blink

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

1. The installed drivers had been corrupted. When they were deleted and new drivers installed it fixed the problem.

2. There is a bug in the old release of the driver and deleting them and installing the new ones got rid of the bug.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Mine is on the blink too, the back-light intermittently goes off and leaves the screen black. This seriously affects my post speed. I had the screen replaced about two years ago for a similar reason. It cost over $1000, thankfully it was still under warranty then. There is not much you can do really because of the cost, it would be about the same to buy a new laptop :cry:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. AJ

Pete, when it goes dark can you still see the picture faintly. If that's the case, then it could be the inverter that's on the blink.

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes AJ that is exactly what I think the problem is too but the last time it went off under warranty for the same thing, they replaced the whole display. Is the inverter a separate board?

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It depends on the model of laptop. Some of them have it as a seperate board, some of them get integrated into the Motherboard.

8)

12. 808

808 Nibble Poster

most modern laptops i work on have the inverter seperate from the board(pavilion and presario) just below the screen.an inverter is fairly cheap to buy.in regards to the original question
    what model laptop is it?there are some models like the old style pavilion that have the graphics card seated on top of the motherboard.these can worked loose if you knock them causing the fault you described.maybe the graphics card was knocked loose and needs refitting.

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: A+,N+
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That may well be the issue with my HP Pavilion N6271 then. Next question, how do I take the thing apart? I have removed every conceivable screw in an effort to split the top from the bottom but there is something I can't see holding the two parts together near the touch pad :blink Any thoughts, as I would love to be able to check if the graphics card is nicely seated. It is out of warranty now btw.

Pete

14. 808

808 Nibble Poster

can you e-mail me a picture of underneath and the top of the laptop.not sure which model this is(at work we dont go by model number,we go by the name of the technology used inside)
    try pushing down on top of the laptop just above the keyboard to see if you get a picture.check to see if you have removed the screws under the hdd.also check to see if there are any bent pins on the connector to the monitor.

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: A+,N+
  15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks 808, I will email you the pics soon, my wife has taken the dig cam with her but when she returns later on, I'll do it then. Thanks for your help on this!

Pete

16. AJ

The inverter board is normally found directly underneath the screen. What you need to do is remove the surrounding plastic around the screen and at the bottom will be a space where you should see a circiut board encased in a plastic sheath about 2 cm wide and 10 cm long, this is the inverter board.

Quick Google turned THIS up., Hope that helps mate :)

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Awesome info and link AJ thank you!!

Do I have to dig out the little rubber round things, are they covering up screws, they're about 3mm in diameter???

18. AJ

They well may be, or it could be held in with plastic lugs around the edges of the screen (if you see what I mean). You have to be VERY caqreful when you remove the front panel coz the chances are you will break on of the securing lugs.

I'm not and expert at this, just had the same problem at work last week, that's how I knew about this problem.

19. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Laptops are a nightmare to work on.

When taking things apart dont pull anything off too far before checking there's no small ribbon cable's attached.
    These need to be detached first by lifting the two plastic lugs on either side of the plug where it goes into the board. (You will see what i mean)
    These can be easily ripped off the board if your not careful and need to be soldered back on, if possible.

You will come across one when you lift the LED board off the top of the keyboard.

Not sure how far you plan to go into the laptop but i thought it's worth a mention.

Neall

WIP: A+