Laptop LCD Monitor Hosed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwire45, Nov 12, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

For sometime, whenever I rebooted my laptop or brought it out of stand by mode, when the screen image appeared, it had a red tone to it. The red eventually retreated to the lower left-hand corner of the screen and then disappeared. This had been going on for a while but everything seemed ok otherwise.

This morning, I was working on the laptop and noticed that the brightness would periodically fluctuate. I hoped against hope that this didn't mean disaster. I turned to work on another computer for awhile and the laptop went into standby. When I woke it up, I could barely see the image. It was almost completely black but I could faintly detect the folder I had left open on the desktop.

I shut down the laptop for awhile and then started it again. The image appeared, red as ever and eventually the red disappeared but...the brightness fluctuated like earlier today. It seems like the LCD screen is about to go. Any chances of fixing the problem or am I looking at buying a new laptop?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Trip,

I assume you have rules out the graphics/mobo by plugging the VGA in to another screen?

If so, it all depends on how much you can get a replacement screen for.

What make and model Laptop is it?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's the backlight that is on it's way out. It could be the ribbon cable or most likely a device called an inverter.

It is repairable, check this out

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Blue has this right. I have also answered this on TU.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yep

I got a massive old Advent lappy that had the inverter board go. Turns out it was so expensive to fix it - and so problematic trying to find the particular inverter this model used - that it was more economical for me to buy a new lappy!

Still use the old one for stuff though - as I can still RDP into it whenever I want.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em