1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labs for 70-462 and 70-463

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by chicola, May 1, 2016.

1. chicola

chicola Bit Poster

Hi,

I want to get started on these exams, but I need to purchase some new kit to set up some labs. I am on a really tight budget, can anyone suggest the minimum kit required to set up labs that will enable me to learn the content?

I can't spend more than a few hundred so I was thinking that the online transcender labs might be a cheaper option? Does anyone have experience with them>

If I were to buy an i7 with SSD and 16GB RAM would it be sufficient in running Hyper V labs? I am only looking for something that can simulate the course requirements, not setting up a "real world" scenario.

I've done some research and saw a blog where someone set up a lab with about four servers and a client computer running concurrently. They didn't state what kit they used, but I imagine the spec for this would be a lot higher. Is it even necessary though to have four servers set up for the exam requirements.

Any suggestions would be really helpful as this is a sticking point for me.

2. dmarsh

dmarsh Terabyte Poster

A decent computer with 12 GB RAM, SSD and VirtualBox should do it.
    MS software is available on trial basis.

I'd expect 2 servers would be fine for most of it, that way you can set up active-active, log shipping etc. You can use the host OS for the client.

Personally I think you'd learn more this way than with a cloud environment.

Certifications: CITP, BSc, HND, SCJP, SCJD, SCWCD, SCBCD, SCEA, N+, Sec+, Proj+, Server+, Linux+, MCTS, MCPD, MCSA, MCITP, CCDH
  3. chicola

chicola Bit Poster

Thanks, I'll buy a new laptop soon and go from there.

4. EagerDinosaur

EagerDinosaur New Member

I passed 462 with just a single machine running SQL Server, and by reading the training guide carefully. I admit that's not ideal, but only parts of the exam refer to multiple server configurations. From memory, I don't think 463 requires multiple servers.