lab for N+

Discussion in 'Network+' started by veloce, Aug 17, 2010.

1. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

Hi all,

would I benefit from a labs setup when studying for Network +, and if so, what would I need?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  2. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I dont think you will as i have found it to be all theory so fat with not a great deal on OS's. There is a small part but a copy of windows will get you by on that.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  3. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Ditto on j1mgg comment, mostly theory. Just keep reading :p goodluck

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  4. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

I think my 865 on the N+ without the lab proves that the other posters are correct!

I also have never worked in networks.....

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You can play with various apps on your PC like netstat, ping, pathping, nslookup, telnet, ipconfig, tracert, route, etc.

You can mess with things like the hosts file, SOCKS proxies, FTP, Browsers/HTTP, Finger, Network Monitor, etc.

You can use your wifi and wired internet with your PC/laptop.

You can get a small SOHO switch/router and play with it.

As mentioned the exam is largely theory so you could probably pass without much hands on. Various CBT's show you pictures of the type of kit that exists and the basics of how its used etc.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  6. lbe

lbe New Member

when i did my my N+ in 2004 i was new to networking concepts and made use of 2 physical computers and 4 virtual machines (vmware workstation 4.0 at the time) connected to a dlink 8-port switch in a home lab environment.

I passed the exam with a score of 78% because of putting the concepts i reaad from the book into practice in a lab enviroment.

Certifications: A+, N+,MSCA2003,MSCE2003, MCITP
    WIP: ICND 822 and 816
  7. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

cheers guys, I think I will just work with the various windows apps then

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT