Just tried a practice exam

Discussion in 'A+' started by Dazzo, May 20, 2010.

1. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Hi guys,

been studying A+ for a while but have had major issues going on so could not really get completely into it. A while back i read the whole of the Mike myers all in one book, and over the past two months i've watched/listened to the A+ videos by james from CBT nuggets.

I tried the practice exam today in the all in one book, well the chapter review questions and scored 65%. I was somewhat chuffed/distraut with this. I was happy it was higher then 65% however some of the things I've just completely forgotten which made me mad at myself haha!

Are the professor messor videos a good tool for learning A+? Will making notes through the videos help?

How do they structure the scoring of the A+ exam?

My job involves being an IT technician, along with other roles so i get some expereince but obviosuly not as much as being solely an IT tech!

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Darren

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

prof messor may help but I strongly suggest you buy a proper practice exam and the best I have used is www.boson.com

compTIA aswell as Mcrosoft do not publish how they score the exams so nobody knows for sure apart from them. The questions are taken from a large pool of questions so your questions may be completley different to the ones I got.

It could be sumized that a question with one answer will be marked lower than a question with multiple answers but don't count on this.

you need to be scoring about 75% before thinking of taking the exams in my opinion don't rely on the Myeres questions since there are only a few and not the full set of 100 questions as there will be in proper purchased exams. www.proprofs.com is a good site to learn from and they have practice exams too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Thank you for the response GBL

Yeah i've looked at boson and think i may go for that.

Guess I was being hopeful for a ball park % figure for a pass!

I was going to use the prof messor just to watch the video's really. I may just re-watch the CBT nugget ones. I'll do that whilst studying from www.proprofs.com, and take practice exams from them. Do you know the price of boson?

Darren

4. greenbrucelee

$189 for the full 701 and 702 or $99 each well worth the money if you ask me.

The Boson exam are laid out that you get explanations of why the answer is what it is and reference to material that prove it such as the Mike Meyers book. You can also set it up in practice/learning mode or full on real simulation mode as if it were the real deal.

You will also like the real exams get were you went wrong percentage wise at the end of the simulation exam. If you are brave you can mix every question up and do a 300 question exam.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Plus... you'll have the ears of both of Boson's senior content developers on this forum, should you need us for any reason. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Ah rite, its based solely on 70x? I've been studying for the 60x for the past god knows how long, should i switch to 70x or carry on for the 60x?

And that statement alone Boson increases the appeal 10 fold :blink

7. greenbrucelee

You should stick with 600 but remember you only have until August 31st to pass both exams. The practice exam I had from Boson was for the 600 series if I were you I would PM Boson Michael to see if there is anyway you can get a hold of it from Boson.

Unfortuantely the 600 series retired in the US at the end of Feb so it may not be available from them anymore.

8. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I guess which exams you take depends on how quickly you plan on taking the exams. In the UK, I think the 60x version of the exams retire at the end of August, so you'd have just over three months to take and pass both exams. If you think you can finish in that amount of time, then I'd suggest keeping on the path that you're on.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  9. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Ok thank you all.

I will stick with 60x and book my exam soon. I do think I am almost ready i just really wanted to make sure!

I will look at all the options you have presented for me and well, get straight to it! :p

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you want to purchase the Boson ExSim MAX 60x practice exams, I can check to see if we can sell you a key. I'd think we could.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!