Just sayin hi all!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dantronix, Sep 18, 2005.

1. dantronix

dantronix New Member

Just wanted to say hi,

I have always been interested in computers but sadly never actually got around to studying for any certificates. My current experience lies mainly in pc building, upgrading, and installation, which has been carried out for friends and family over the past couple of years.

A short while ago a friend of mine lent me their Comptia A+ course CD and I thought it would be fun to see how much I actually did know! I managed to work through the course and currently get regular scores of 90+ percent in the test exams provided, but I feel the need to practice more before booking the exam (afraid of failure!!). So any advice offered here would be very appreciated.

I currently work from home reselling web hosting accounts, but this is not what I wish to do for evermore!! I am still undecided as to what direction I want to proceed in, but know it will definitely be something in IT.

I look forward to using these forums and seeing you all on the boards!!

:biggrin

WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome......

Kat:D

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Dantronix - welcome to CF.

I would be most wary of sitting the exam having only used a practice CD to study from. Basically the disk is just to fine-tune the skills and knowledge you have (hopefully) gained from your main text. The chances are that when you are saying you are regularly scoring 90+ %, this is because you have practically memorised the limited number of questions on the disk.

Save yourself the cost of a possible resit - buy a main study text (look in our A+ Forum for recommendations). If you're going to go for it, go for it properly, in my opinion.

Hope that helps :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Hey Dantronix, welcome to CF. :biggrin

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  5. dantronix

dantronix New Member

What the CD help me with is realising I could possibly push for a career in IT, I realised that I need to get the correct training apparatus and thats why I'm here, to find out where exactly I should start, especially as there are so many options available at hugely varied prices.

:D

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Here's a thread we have in the A+ board with some suggested guides and useful info. See what you think:

CLICK HERE

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forums my friend :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. dantronix

dantronix New Member

Thanks for the info,

What do you think of the TestOut.com Software? As this is the CD I have been using, it has the full hardware course and a virtual lab simulator, as well as a test exam which generates random questions each time.

:biggrin

9. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums, dantronix! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome to CF. Glad you found us. :D
    My personal opinion is to study, study, learn and learn.
    I am a bit of a slow coach when it comes to certs but I want to really understand the concepts so when I take the exam if i pass :tune I can move on to another without forgetting what I learnt.
    From what you have been doing with PC's you should find the A+ straight forward. Why don't you pop to Amazon
    and have a look at probably the best A+ book around. It is a great read and informs you all you need to know for both exams. You have already done the practical so should be flying!

Good luck and look forward to helping out.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. dantronix

dantronix New Member

thanks for the comments boyce,

I genuinely am going to purchase the recommended book from amazon, possibly end of this week.

Please keep the advice coming as I could do with as much as possible.

Cheers All :biggrin

12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i just got that book yesterday and i also got the groth one from before... mike meyers' book IMHO is a class above groth! i highly recommend it mate! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  13. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

Welcome to the forums!!

Good luck with the studying :D

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCAD in vb.net
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Dantronix. Welcome to CertForums. Glad you found your way here. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685