just failed network+

Discussion in 'Network+' started by zipfab, Dec 24, 2007.

1. zipfab

zipfab New Member

ummm ,with 494 i failed the exams but the strange thing is that i did not what to answer to almost 40 % questions .I have used sybex and video training but I am sure they are not covered.
    Many wird questions about what kind of hub to use (i did not there were different)novel ,unix,mac,or windows try to connect to novel server lenth of isdn line....
    They are not covered in my books they just focused on windows or obvious like commands or topology.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

bad luck

maybe you should have got http://www.amazon.co.uk/Network-sup-small-Study-Guide/dp/0782144063

maybe you need to study more.

Do you have any network experience? you could try to set up a home network to practice with.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. zipfab

zipfab New Member

That is book that i have !It good.The exam seems oriented on novel ,unix ,mac .i didnt` aspect those questions ...
    I have had played at home but just with windows, maybe should buy 4 computers and install all os .

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you could get vmware or virtual pc to setup your network so you don't need 4 computers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. zipfab

zipfab New Member

good idea i will try it.

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Sorry to hear that zipfab you must be gutted!!:(

have you tried the exam cram books? Click here for the link, they give an excellent feel for how the exam questions are written.

Also you can sign up for the quiz of the day for email.:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

hmm...when I did the N+ I found that the Sybex book covered too much! In comparison to the CompTIA N+ questions the Sybex book went a hell of a lot deeper! I learnt a lot from the Sybex N+ book!

However, my experience with the N+ stuff is from the old 2002 objectives! So I would imagine that a lot has changed since then!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Sorry to hear this mate.

I can't comment on the sybex book, I studied from the Mike Meyers N+ book.
    I too did the network+ last month and found it to be heavily targeted at interconnecting windows, Unix, novel & Mac.

All I can suggest is to study around the subjects and objectives from CompTIA, I'm sorry to say if you fail the exam then you haven't gained the knowlegde/understanding of the subjects needed.

Good Luck and keep studying:thumbleft

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sounds like you weren't expecting questions on Mac, UNIX, or Novell but they are included on the official objectives for this exam. If you haven't done so already, go to CompTIA's Network+ site and download the official objectives. Any information on those objectives can potentially (but not always) appear on your exam. Keep studying and good luck on the re-take. :)

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Unlucky mate, hit the books and regroup for the new year. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi there

Hard luck on the exam - I hope you have better luck next time round.

As already said, had you taken a look at the exam objectives before starting on your studies? Have you already got experience with PCs?

If not, getting a PC with VMWare is an excellent start.

Also, if you think a lot of the material you saw on the exam was not covered in the book, I suggest you make sure that the book you've got covers current objectives, as the N+ was updated in 2005, and there are still a lot of the older books out there (I believe its current incarnation is N10-003).

When I studied for the exam, I did it in this order:

Read the Mike Meyers All In One Network+ book
    Read the Mike Meyers Passport edition to this book, making notes
    Used the Exam Cram book to do practise questions

For anything I wasn't too sure on, or had problems remembering, I made myself flash cards, as a compact way of studying whenever, and wherever I happened to be (and they said handbags were for makeup...pffft)

Good luck, and keep us updated on how you're getting on.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  12. zipfab

zipfab New Member

sybex is good and covers most of the subjects .next time i try the questions like i did with a+.
    I passed a+ first time no problems

13. zipfab

zipfab New Member

Questions to everyone :
    how many hubs type do you know?
    What is the max lenght of isdn line ?

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Not that we mind doing the research and trying to answer those questions, but have you tried looking for that information yourself first? Remember, Google is your friend. :D

If you still can't figure it out, ask again...but I bet the information is readily available.

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The Groth book is good. Study the areas where you are weak and give it another try.

Best of luck on your next attempt!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. zipfab

zipfab New Member

Thank everyone for the tips .
    The questions came up at the exam, but I cannot find in any books ,I was just curious is someone can point to any books that contain such informations otherwise is pointless study on a book that has not have the key to find the answers.

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

First of all, when you took the exam, you electronically signed a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) in which you stated that you would not reveal any information about the content of the exam. You've just admited that you've posted questions about the content, thus publicly admiting you violated the terms of your agreement.

Secondly, don't rely on books and their answer keys alone. If you can't find that information in the Groth book, look it up elsewhere. No one book, no matter how good, can possibily cover every single question that can come up on the exam. For instance, here's some information I found on the web about isdn using Google. If you can't find something from one source, use another. That's why I generally advocate for using at least *two* books when studying for any exam. You aren't helpless. Do your research.

http://www.networktutorials.info/isdn_lines.html

http://www.javvin.com/protocolISDN.html

http://www.jet.net/isdn/isdnintro.html

In real life, technicians don't carry all of the information they need in their heads. They often have to do research to find the answers to questions and to solve problems. Learn this skill and you will be more successful.

18. morph

morph Byte Poster

OK thats got me worried, i've used that book and cbt nuggets, i also found some stuff which wasnt in cbt nuggets but was in the book, yeah maybe i should have used two books ....

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Actually, I used an earlier edition of Tamara Dean's Network+ Guide to Networks, Fourth Edition. As I recall, it was pretty dry reading, but it included everything I needed to know to pass the exam. I can't speak for the current edition of the book or the current version of the exam, though.

20. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

isdn: is 18,000 foot i belive from memory

hub types? I belive you might be talking about the difference between hubs and MAU's (i think its MAU - the hub type used in token ring networks)

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298