1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just a quick question

Discussion in 'A+' started by snessy, Aug 22, 2010.

1. snessy

snessy New Member

hello im taking the 701 and 702. ive got the right books and so on, but i was wondering one thing..

do you think i should write notes?

or better still, did you write notes when you did these exams?

2. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi,
    all different i would think, what works for one dosent work for another. having said that i did, it seemed to reinforce things.

K

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  3. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

What worked for me was to highlight the text. Then after finishing a chapter, I prepared 75- 120 practice questions that I would test myself with. I used an iPod program called Cram to do the testing but there are many other platforms available. I would continue to test until I consistently got in the 90s. BTW, when I was done making questions (including the ones I got from practice exams) I was studying over 2,000 questions. For me repetition worked best.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  4. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

I found writing out key terms and then reviewing your notes before wrapping up for the night helps.

good luck

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  5. Gogs

Gogs Bit Poster

I wrote a lot of notes when I was studying Windows 7, but for A+ I didn't write any at all. However, I pretty much did 4 weeks of living/breathing A+ before sitting mine.

What always worked for me was doing the practice questions at the end of each chapter, and doing as many different practice exams as I could. Anything that I got wrong I re-read.

Certifications: in Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Server Administrator (646) , Security+
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster Forum Leader

to be honest I don't take notes... I read the book cover to cover but I really read it, I make sure I understand the topic and then go on to the next topic. At the end I take practice exams and what ever area I am weak at I study again... then take the exam.

I used to take notes but I find it took me a very long time to finish a book and I find it discourages me, but each person is different I guess.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I'm the same as the Prof in not writing notes. Tend to read the book and make sure I understand the concept before moving onto the next one.

Everyone is different though so do what works for you.

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  8. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I'll usually read a book cover to cover without taking notes. Then I go through and take notes on some of the sections where I feel I need the extra study. Some of the notes I never look at again but it's still helps with retention and comprehension to write them.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  9. snessy

snessy New Member

I've decided to write brief notes on each chapter so I have something to come back to. When I first started studying I was taking notes, but it seemed I was re writing the book! I will use practice questions and exams.

Thank you for the really helpful replies. :)