Joining a union

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by disarm, Mar 1, 2011.

1. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Hi

I'm having difficulties with my employer and they've requested I attend a disciplinary hearing. Can anyone recommend a good union to join - I can be represented by a union rep.

Thanks

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Unite might be worth a look website is something like unitetheunion.org

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Don't think they will represent you as you would need to be a member before your issues.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Not actaully a union but if you find a really big aggressive looking bloke and ask him to sit with you during the meetings and stare at the people asking questions and every now and then make a growling noise that will work as good as any union. At least it did for me...

Certifications: A few.
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Yes I did wonder about that (retrospective union membership that is, not the big burly bloke).

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I guess it would have to depend on the union, I knew a couple of people who had problems joined the union (forget which one) and the union still helped them.

As for what union, I used to be a member of PCS, there's also Unison and GMB, all which have good reps. But I guess because I work in the public service (education), those 3 are more common.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

As an emergency measure you could also contact Citizen's Advice or if you're a member of BCS use the free legal helpline

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Most unions are not worth the money you pay to them and as far as I was aware until you have been paying for a certain amount of time they wont help you.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Really? Kind of completely renders what I did for five years (national and local bargaining and trade union side chair representing 2500 people in pay, terms & conditions, health and safety, industrial tribunals etc etc) redundant doesn't it?

You need to make sure that any trade union you join is officially recognised by your employer - they'll have a list in the HR department, or you can ask your colleagues. Don't worry about joining retrospectively - I used to turn a blind eye when people joined up because they had specific problems (after all, if you're not there to help people as a union official, what are you there to do!)

Take a good look at your staff handbook (if you have one) - that will detail the disciplinary procedures. Also - be honest with your TU representative if you are really in the s***. I know nothing used to p*** me off more than getting a load of spiel from someone, preparing for a dsiciplinary hearing or tribunal only to find out that they had spun me a yarn, had been taking the p*** for years & finally been pulled on it.

Good luck.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I worked in the newspaper industry so its probably different. Our unions started go tits up after Maggie Thatcher. Our union wouldn't give any help unless you had paid atleast 6 month dues.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

At the end of the day, it all depends on what the hearing is for and if you actually did what they said you did...

If you are guilty as charged, then blazing in with a union rep might just generate a lot of extra hassle for everyone, and if you get off the hook, you'll still be employed by someone who will always regard you as a trouble maker. Sometimes a quiet word works best.

On the other hand, if you aren't guilty or think you're being set up, having a colleague attend with you can be really helpful. Choose someone who isn't a shrinking violet, but on the other hand someone who isn't going to pick a fight and make things worse. Someone with a brain would be good. Possibly also someone who is presently unavailable so you get to spend a few weeks suspended on full pay while they fly them back from an oil rig in Canada. :oops:

Joking aside, I've dealt with tonnes of HR/disciplinary stuff in my career, but have never tangled with a union - or belonged to one.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Cheers for the replies.

Unitetheunion have a 52-week qualifying period before they can represent you, don't know about others yet. They can still offer basic advice, but you can get that free from the ACAS helpline.