Joing two wireless routers/bridging

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by j1mgg, Mar 24, 2010.

1. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I dont know what this is exactly called, so i will explain.

My main router that is connected to my adsl2 line is in my cupboard where i have my ps3, desktop(not currently working) and laptop docking station. In my sitting room i have another desktop(currently connected by wifi), blu ray player and soon to be a dreambox.

What i want to do is use a linksys router i have to connect the devices in the sitting room to and them connect the linksys router to the main one by wireless.

The main adsl router is a thomson 585(be firmware) and the second router is a linksys wrt54 which i am going to flash dd-wrt firmware onto it.

This is where i am a bit stuck and wondered if any of you can quickly get me setup rather than trawling through google allday?

Cheers guys

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

This is wireless bridging, you also need to ensure that both devices support it.

Personally speaking I use two dedicated wireless bridges connected to two switches.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA