1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job Update

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Cunningfox, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Following my job offer hyperthetical thread ;), I figured I'd do a job update as many do.

It's a month in now and very different to what I'm used to.

I'm working for a large IT Services Provider (big name but you'll probably never of heard of them unless you've worked with them or for them). I've gone from a 50 person company based in a single office working with internal infrastructure and multiple client infrastructures to working for a 20,000 person company worldwide in a 4 person office on a large client site working for a public sector client with 4000+ users over multiple sites.

It's a bit of a mind **** to scale up.

As usual the job isn't quite as described, my understanding was it was a project/4th line support role. The reality though is actually much cooler, it's a design and implementation role supporting the stuff you haven't handed over yet to the support team. It's a bit daunting actually, I am the least experienced person on the team in networking generally but have more experience in design and layer 2 than some of the others.

I've taken a big personal gamble with this role having relocated to land it so feeling slightly exposed at the moment until I gel more with the team who generally seem pretty cool. My worry is that I've found out in passing that I was 3rd (maybe 4th) choice for the role with I now hear 3 positions available at the time (1 still available), with two others being more experienced but rejecting the offer and another being an internal role change. I hope they think I'm upto it and they haven't just filled the role out of desperation for bodies.

I'm enjoying the challenge despite my doubts and fits the work I enjoy, plus the cheaper travel, cheaper living and more money is always a great combination especially when in a nice area of the country as well.

Oh and can't really use Certforums at work due to various lockdown policies :(... until I work around them that is ;). Hence my lack of posts recently :).
    Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  2. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

Sounds like a varied challenging role, good work - the nerves are a good thing, all the 'nervy' jobs I've done at work are the ones I've learned the most from going forward, best of luck with it all 8)
    Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
    WIP: MCSA: Server 2012
  3. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Just use cert forums on your phone, that's no excuse :p

The pressure is on when you move jobs especially if you have a mortgage and other bills to pay each month.

Good luck.
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
  4. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Which services co out of interest? Only ask as I've worked with a few, and in pub sector, so might be able to give you some tips or heads up on anything :) Off top of my head companies around that size would be the likes of Unisys or Steria.

PM if you'd rather ;)
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  5. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

PM sent ;).

Can't use this site effectively on my mobile, not got a funky 'Droid or iPhone. Evening posts work though :). Can just spam away at my leisure :).

Hopefully I'll feel settled soon just need to get through this initial period and into some good work stuff.
    Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??