Job recording software

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Oct 11, 2016.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hello
    I was wondering if anyone knew of something simple and easy to set up/use in regards to sharing jobs? Normally i dare say i could use something like manage engine but the time to set that up would take longer than the time i actually have.

At the moment we are currently writing on a board and emailing each other jobs. What I really want to do is assign jobs to the other technician in our dept and say you do these and not worry about having to chase him at all, which i seem to have to keep doing.

Any suggestions are always welcome

Thanks

Zx

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Why dont you use something like O365 groups although theres a cost there but still..

3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

What you want to do is look at Kanban, we have used both electronic as well as whiteboard based solutions, it's basically a daily standup, job allocations and job monitoring.

It's good idea tbh but it takes a little getting used to.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

https://trello.com/

Free online kanban, but I'm more a fan of whiteboards and post its personally.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What system are you looking for here? Helpdesk ticketing?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I agree, the whiteboard and post its was much better imho.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I have this set up, well the whiteboard thing anyway,but I am having the urine extracted out of me. If its an easy job and I ask him to do it, he will do it, but if its on the board hes just not doing any of it nor is he taking the initiative.

This is my reason for the job recording software.

Cheers for the suggestions

Zx

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Software cant fix staff motivation, training, or other aspects of management, that's down to workers and managers.

At best software can track progress and produce rather crude metrics.

With a small team and hands on management, seems you already know all you need to, you don't need metrics for that.

9. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Depends on how in-depth you want to go and what your budget is.

http://www.somehelp.net/ is free and MS Access based, easy to use and set up.

I believe Spiceworks used to have some form of Inventory and Helpdesk system (which was free at the time)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+