Job Hunt

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mcbro, Jun 1, 2009.

1. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Just spoken to a Recruitment Executive who stated that this time last year they would get on average of 50 Cvs per role now they are getting 120+! Grrr

Ive been looking for 3-4 weeks and have had my CV put forward a few times but never get any further.

How are other peoples job hunt going?

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  2. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Crap i thought i could get a job by august but i think i may have to go to uni since i cant get a job.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

While I'm not actively looking (passively, maybe), there doesn't seem to be alot going on in my surrounding areas.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I know experienced people who are having to look for 3-6 months to land a role, 3-4 weeks is nothing.

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

55 weeks and counting :tune

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. NWDaddy

NWDaddy Bit Poster

I've been working in the IT industry for the past 11-12 years - mainly as a contractor. I prefered to work this way because it mean't I didn't have to get caught up in all the office politics, it gave me freedom, and the cash was pretty good too :biggrin

After having two kids I decided itwas time for a more stable career and about six months ago I jumped into a full-time role. I figured the steady (albeit small income) would help us to plan things out better and stop the boom and bust type lifestyle we had.

In some respects it was a good move as the market has died a death but in true sods law fashion I have recently been put at risk of redundancy :(

I don't think I'll be let go but it does show that I'm no more secure in a full-time role.

The only roles going in my place at the moment are for helpdesk but they do pay 20k. Anyone live in Merseyside?

Certifications: A handful of MCP exams
  7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Yep, what is your experience in mate?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. NWDaddy

NWDaddy Bit Poster

I started out in desktop support, did three years in server support and I'm currently working as the manager of a small desktop support/server admin team. Can't say much at the moment but I'm in the process of moving back to a technical role - love this stuff.

Certifications: A handful of MCP exams
  9. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Yeah you can't beat getting your hands dirty. I'll let you know if anything comes up in our place, its pretty recession proof as its us doing the outsourcing of smaller fish a lot of the time. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The job market is fairly crud at the moment, I thankfully recently dodged the redundancy bullet but while the consultation process was going on I did take the opportunity to update the CV and look around at whats out there.

The answer was not much, a lot of very technically specific roles, a few developer jobs and not much else.

I do know of one outfit in the area looking for 1st Line support staff but it would be weird as all hell working with my sister...

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  11. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

You just need to go onto Reed to see how many are applying for IT Support jobs. I had a quick look and saw a job for an IT Support bod for GPs...it had 127 applications.

In the West Midlands things are really bad, Jobsite has had the same 3 IT Support jobs for Birmingham on that page for over 3 weeks (the postings are over 3 weeks old).

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...