Job dilemma, advice/help please.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Lunartick, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Lunartick

Lunartick New Member

Hi,

Apologies for the long post.

I have a bit of a dilemma jobs wise, and need some advice as to which might be the best direction to go/what you might do.

Details of current situation/opportunity:

I currently work at a local NHS hospital. The job is 2nd Level Technical Support - Client PCs - Hardware/Software, Printers/Peripherals. I have been there 2.5 years and enjoy the job, the diversity and new things. I have learnt loads since I have been there.

Currently I work 8.30-5.00, Mon-Fri. 27 days holiday. It is 3 miles/10 minutes from where I live. Member of NHS pension scheme. It is NHS, on a permanent contract - we have been told that as an ICT department we should be fine, as cuts have been made to all fixed term contracts and there are no more plans in this financial year to cut any further. I earn around 17k. This is roughly £1100/month.

My problem is that as I am at the moment I take home a little more than my monthly outgoings. As things stand there might be a pay freeze for the next 2 years and obviously everything else is going up and now they are on about interest rates on mortgages etc. Currently there isn't any promotion opportunities, and there are around 8 people at my level who will likely apply to any future 'next level up' jobs.

Prior to working at the hospital I used to work for Mastercare/Tech Guys in their laptop workshop as a laptop engineer. I was there about 3.5 years and left that to persue a career in a corporate IT environment. The workshop used to be 10 minutes from where I live now.

They have recently relocated and are now recruiting engineers again. I know people there and have been made aware of the job and have basically been told that I would be able to get a job there. Agency to permanent contract - around 19k pa agency, but permanent within a few weeks starting at 22k pa - at this take home pay is around £1400 per month.

Where it is now located is 25 miles away, so a 50 mile round trip. They work 6am-5.30pm, 4 days on/4 days off. 20 days holiday. They do offer a pension, but not a public sector one. Car sharing is an option as people who live near me currently work there. Speaking to people who have gone back, things are a lot different to what they used to be, essentially for the better. There is currently overtime, but not sure for how long. There is also opportunity to progress to senior engineer at 24k pa, which a lot of the old engineers I work with are at.

My issue:

I am at the hospital in a job I like, close to home and pays my bills. I also have around 10k of debt, but am currently managing. If interest rates went up sharp or something major went wrong (car blew up/needed a new washer) it could be a big struggle.

I can go back to the workshop, get £300/month extra + poss overtime, which would help make some in roads into my debt and give me that bit of cover if anything should go wrong or interest rates go up etc.

Workshop short term is very appealing due to extra cash, but it is a job I did for 3.5 years and left to pursue essentially what I am doing now, which I enjoy. But is the extra money vs job I enjoy worth a trade off, this is what I cant decide.

Is it better the devil you know? What would be more stable out of the NHS/Dixons? Would you go Full Circle?

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Only you can answer that question. The only advice I can give is this: there was a reason you left your previous job in the first place.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

wouldn't suprise me if that extra 300 went on travel expenses

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

For £300, some of which will be spent on travelling - no.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Do what makes you happy - it's a luxury that many don't have.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yeah you may end up spending that on travelling. FYI I havent had a payrise for 3 years a lot of people are in the same boat because of the current econimic climate.

Remember that if you start a new job there is a probationary period and unless you are really confident it may be better to stay where you are until things pick up.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I'll echo this one.

I jumped from a 12 month contract even though they were asking me to stay permanently and going to pay for any training I wanted etc for a job at a major hosting provider and another 8k on my salary.

I hated it and left after three days. Luckily I found a new role within the month but I have to admit it was frightening on a level like no other and I was bunking down for the long term.

I don't know your circumstances but the reality of that extra 300 is you are likely to spend it and not make any dents on your debt anyway. Aim at reducing outgoings.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I personally rather do a job I like vs getting paid more. for 300 extra a month, I don't think it will make that much of a difference considering the travel expenses, etc.. Deep down inside you know what you want and only you can make the final decision. It's great to get advice because it makes it easier when making decisions but if you have a gut feeling, then listen to it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. pmidds

pmidds Bit Poster

If I was you I'd stay in your current role and look elsewhere for a new job. Going back to Mastercare would be a backwards step in my opinion. The extra money probably won't make that much difference and will be sucked up by the increased cost of the commute. I'd stick with the NHS job and keep your eye out for positions in other teams within the NHS and elsewhere. Don't know if it's the same for where you are but the IT job market seems to be picking up in the NE.

Certifications: MCP 70-210; 70-290; ITIL Foundation v.3
    WIP: MCSE? or CCNA?
  10. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

THREE YEARS WITHOUT A PAYRISE?!?!?!

I'd echo what everyone else is saying.. Job you enjoy + 10 mins from home > Job you grew out of 3 years ago + £300 extra, most of which which will be spent on travelling 50 miles a day.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  11. Lunartick

Lunartick New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, I just havent had chance to reply back here just yet.

Just to let you know after considering everything that I have decided to stay at the hospital in my current job.

I felt that whilst my old job might help short term, the NHS would be better in the long term.