JBYPDMTNOTGY

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by Phil, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Microsoft, feeling threatened? Surely not!

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=10761

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Scared? Wow. That's a little strong. That's like some people here in the states who get upset with folks buying a foreign made car. "Why not buy American?" they ask. The answer could be something like "When we make a decent product worth buying at a competative price, I'll buy it". Maybe MS should be listening. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hmmm that makes you think [​IMG]

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

On a (sort of) similar theme, seen Microsoft's name for the court enforced WMP-less Windows?

Step forward 'Windows XP Reduced Media Edition' The EU is not impressed.

And there was me thinking it just came on really small CD's...

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

With a name like that you could mistakenly think they've taken the 'bloat' out of Windows.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Actually I think thier choice of title was perfectly fair, and the EU can bloody well get stuffed, FIRST they tell microsoft to make available a reduced feature version, they they get pissy when MS name it 'XP reduced feature version' why? will it cause the EU embarassment? or do they think users may actually decide to buy the FULL FEATURED version instead?
    I really do get sick of this 'anti competative' bullshit i hear thrown about by the EU/US DOJ (not you nugget, lol)
    bundling WMP with windows is a nobrainer, just like ford bundle a ford CD player with an explorer or a focus
    the user is well withing thier right to remove it, and add a Sony player without voiding any warranty/support agreement, and the SAME GOES FOR WINDOWS
    IE made a bit more sense due to its tight integraiton and pain in the ass to remove/disable, but this also was largly fixed with XP

its just a case of pick on the big corporate to make it look like were doing something useful
    something useful would be dropping the idea of software patents COMPLETLY without having to rely on the polish technology minister to keep postponing it because its plain stupid

as for the iPod/Microsoft Campus problem, it makes somewhat sense, its no different than McDonalds employees being frowned upon for eating Burker king food in the McDonalds restaurant, it doesnt bode too well, and as the campus is the focus for alot of press releases/media gatherings, its somewhat understandable, I however will echo one MS iPod user and say 'when and if you come up with some as stylish, innovative and easy to use, i'll be glad to use my employee discount to get myself one' :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Have to agree. Media player is too integral to be excluded, whereas IE could easily be replaced by many other products.

As for the iPod thing, so what? Other companies, even competitors, are allowed to make good products!

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)