ITIL Self Teach Help please!

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by Brooksy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Brooksy

Brooksy New Member

Hi All,

Looking for advice & guidance on ITIL Foundation if anyone can help me. Maybe a bit long winded so please bare with me.....

I have worked in both IT & Admin in various roles for over 17 years from building PC’s to 1st line support for websites and broadband services to Team Leader in a IT repair department, but apart from a few NVQ 3’s from back in the day (1994 to be exact, don't mock please!), everything has been self taught but not sat any exams to certify myself.

Just over 2 years ago I was diagnosed with a spinal disease which has made me servilely disabled, which in turn has forced me to leave employment so I can commit myself for treatment & recovery, now I am looking forward to a lengthy operation (hopefully) soon to help my condition and get my life back on its feet, which will take another 9 to 12 months to fully recover. So as you can imagine although not very mobile right now, I have loads of time on my hands!

Of course once recovered I want to get back into the IT as humanly possible but I think my days of lugging heavy PC equipment are well and truly over. I want to stay in the IT industry and a friend of mine (who is a IT Auditor for the Civil Service) advised me that he thought I should try to get a ITIL under my belt to better my prospects.

As going to classes is not a viable option for me I am looking to self teach myself, my main question is...

is it possible to gain a ITIL if not been in the IT industry for over 2 years although I do keep up my knowledge with sites like ComputerWeekely etc?

Can anyone advise me on any books for the course?

*****Apologies if this is on the wrong thread!*****

Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012